Starter diagnostics

Gotta love that wiring . . .
johnssi

Starter diagnostics

Post by johnssi »

Hi Guys, I've been reading about how to test the current to the starter but now I can't find where read it. I am having the issue of every now and then I get nothing from the starter... no solenoid click or anything. Then at the next turn of the key, bingo, it fires right up. I'm thinking it is a ground issue and not the starter or solenoid. Can anyone point me to that discussion thread?
mbouse

Re: Starter diagnostics

Post by mbouse »

in a word...no. i'm not good for pointing to searched threads. after making the assumption that the battery connections are clean and tight, i can offer the following:
. what is your battery voltage?
. have you substituted a battery from your daily driver? if so, did the results change?
. have you taken the battery to AutoZone to have it tested?
. are your starter electrical connections clean and tight?
. when the car is running does the charging system light come on, ever? if so, when and for how long?
. have you added a grounding strap from the engine block to the inner fender?
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

No need to swap batteries, if it takes off " at the next turn of the key" the battery is probably fine. SOOO many things can create a No Start like this. Got a good test light?? Need to get starter to fail, then have someone sit in car and hold key in crank position. LargeTerminal on top of starter soleniod should have power, and should lite test light brightly. ( you tested lite on battery first, just to see that it does indeed light). Now move test light to small terminal ( on my 70 it is a red wire, I do not know if that is OE) on side of soleniod, it too, should have power. Now for shits and giggles, but probe of test light on starter motor itself, it should NOT have power. Let us know how the above tests turn out. If all of the above are as described, the starter is bad. Again, hold key in crank position and have someone give starter a thunk with a hammer, that often makes em take right off. If it does, starter is indeed bad.
Good luck,
Keith
FordPrefect
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat Spider 124

Post by FordPrefect »

In the past, I've had the ignition wires right by the steering column work their way loose, causing intermittent ignition failure.

Now I always start diagnosing starter issues there, as it's pretty simple to duck under the wheel and check the wires there.

After that, begin with your normal battery/starter inspection.