Rear Seat Belt Mounting

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
4babycar

Rear Seat Belt Mounting

Post by 4babycar »

Does anyone out there have some pictures of where the rear seat belts mount? I am going to be adding them so I wanted to know approximately where Spiders had them mounted originally. Also, if anyone else has done this and has any tips or advice that you would like to share, it would be greatly appreciated. -Thanks!
kristoj
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider 2000 Turbo

Re: Rear Seat Belt Mounting

Post by kristoj »

There have been a few strings on this recently, so don't forget to do a search. It is a pretty straight forward job. You just pop out the rear seat, figure out the best position for the belts, and make sure you don't drill through any brake or fuel lines on the other side. The seat belts will come with mounting bolts and large washers.
John
'82 Fiat Spider Turbo
'56 Abarth 750 GT Corsa MM
'59 Lancia Appia GTE Zagato
'62 Lancia Flaminia 2.5 3C Convertible
'68 Lancia Fulvia Sport Zagato
'70 Moretti Sportiva S2
'12 Abarth 500
'59 MV Agusta 250 Raid

Pictures of my baby!
ventura ace

Post by ventura ace »

Here are some pictures of the seat belt mounts in my '70 124 spider. I used seat belts from an old Ford or Mercury something or other.
4babycar

Post by 4babycar »

Thanks gentlemen. I had searched and read as many threads and posts I could find but I hadn't been able to find pictures that could give me a ballpark location to start. Alvon - thanks for the pictures! That gives me a good starting point.
Burningmustard
Your car is a: 1982 Spider

Post by Burningmustard »

Great pictures. I am getting ready to install two belts in the back of my '82, and I am a little unsure of the outside mounting locations.

I believe I found the bracket for the inside mounting locations (see pic), but can't see anything for the outside. Might just go off the pictures shown a couple of posts above

Any advice before I start drilling. Thanks!

1982 Spider
2001.5 A4
2009 Odyssey Touring
maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Post by maytag »

While we're at it: I'd sure like some advice on the best way to make the rear-seat more useable!
I mean, I had my 10 & 12 yr old girls in the back seat the other day, and they couldn't sit facing forward! they had to turn sideways!
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
fiasco
Your car is a: 1969 Fiat Spider

Post by fiasco »

maytag wrote:While we're at it: I'd sure like some advice on the best way to make the rear-seat more useable!
I mean, I had my 10 & 12 yr old girls in the back seat the other day, and they couldn't sit facing forward! they had to turn sideways!
Just gotta slide those front seats forward. You're never going to be comfortable with 4 people in the car, but at least you can if you want to.
Steve Eubanks
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1969 Fiat 124 Spider AS | 2108 Fiat 124 Spider Classica | http://calstylestudio.com
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Post by htchevyii »

maytag wrote:While we're at it: I'd sure like some advice on the best way to make the rear-seat more useable!
You could add about ten inches to the center of the car!
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

10 and 12 year old kids are already too big for the back seat. I used to be able to talk my youngest into riding back there, but she looks at me like I'm crazy now and she just turned 10. :roll:
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
kristoj
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider 2000 Turbo

Post by kristoj »

My daughter turns 10 in January and she cann only sit in the back seat with her legs sideways now.
John
'82 Fiat Spider Turbo
'56 Abarth 750 GT Corsa MM
'59 Lancia Appia GTE Zagato
'62 Lancia Flaminia 2.5 3C Convertible
'68 Lancia Fulvia Sport Zagato
'70 Moretti Sportiva S2
'12 Abarth 500
'59 MV Agusta 250 Raid

Pictures of my baby!
Wheel
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider

Post by Wheel »

I put rear seat belts in my 82 spider this weekend. I used different location for the outer belt anchor than shown in the post above because of the frame box under the car. Instead I ended up on the side of the inner fender.

The kids love going for cruises around town, so seat belts have become a necessity. Height is not an issue in our family. We just move the front seats forward and there seems to be enough room for everyone.

Purchased the seat belts and anchor hardware from gotbelts.com
http://www.gotbelts.com/non-retractable ... 78/view/13

Here are the pictures of the install.

1) Drilled 1/2" holes (Qty 4)

2) View from inside the rear driver side fender well

3) View from under the car

4) Had to notch the side panel to make room around the side anchor location

5) Note the large washer that came as part of the hardware kit

6) Sprayed on some undercoating to finish it off

7) Final product
1982 Fiat Spider
donerehart
Your car is a: 1976 spider

Post by donerehart »

Thanks for the pictures and explanation. This is very helpful!
Don :lol:
76 Spider
St. Louis, MO
bran100
Your car is a: 1982 Spider

Post by bran100 »

Thanks for posting the detailed pics and the link. What color belt did you get for that color interior, and at what length? I have an '82 with the same interior.

Brandon
giuliot60
Your car is a: 81 Fiat Turbo removed Spider

Post by giuliot60 »

Interior looks great Wheel.

My 81 has the same color interior, so I'd appreciate the color info as well. My daughters are 4 & soon to be 8, so they still fit in the car.
Giulio/Charlotte
1st car '75 pistachio 128 sedan
Owned a '74 Spider, '68 Firebird, a '65 GTO convertible, and a customized '74 650 Yamaha
Currently own an '81 Turbo (removed) Spider
Wheel
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider

Post by Wheel »

I should have entered this info into the original post as I have forgotten. I did find the shipping invoice which has an item number description of "1006030". When I went to the website, the shortest length is 60" and the color number for "tan" is 30.
I do remember buying the shortest length, which by the way is still too long for this back seat, but better than nothing.
I would suggest contacting the supplier to confirm this part number, just to be sure. Sorry for the weak memory. :oops:
1982 Fiat Spider