napa oil gauge

Gotta love that wiring . . .
roanokeSpider

napa oil gauge

Post by roanokeSpider »

I was thinking of buying a new oil gauge because the old one dosnt work. Im not sure why but i would feel alot better with one that does. If anyone can tell what gauge to get and how to install it that would be great.
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Re: napa oil gauge

Post by htchevyii »

I added an aftermarket gauge to mine, just buy the metric adapter kit and attach it the o/f housing where the old sender now resides.
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

is it the gauge that doesn't work, or the pressure sender that is clogged or failed?
roanokeSpider

Post by roanokeSpider »

well there is no pressure sender its stopped up with a brass bolt it only has the sensor on the side that turns on the low pressure light
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

pressure gauges WONT work with out a pressure sender. whether you are talking the old stock unit, or a brand new unit...

buying and installing a new NAPA gauge won't solve your issue.

why not buy a proper pressure sender for your gauge and install it, then hook up the gauge. betcha lunch the stock gauge will work.
santafe308

Post by santafe308 »

will a oil gauge with the tube that runs up to gauge thats not electric work on my 79? with the metric to 1/4 adapter?
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

will a oil gauge with the tube that runs up to gauge thats not electric work on my 79? with the metric to 1/4 adapter?
Yes, that will work.... There is a thred on here about it and it gives the type of guage. I gave some consideration to this method because in theory it should give you an immediate response time if pressure falls of. However, i did not like the idea of brining oil connection up to the guage behind the dash. Something goes wrong and you have a mess inside the cabin.

Odds of a problem, remote! But I'm one of those guys that has decided to keep the bumpers on the car as well.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
santafe308

Post by santafe308 »

yeah i was thinking of putting a rubber hose a larger diameter over the tubing . I could never see any reason to take off the bumpers the full two bar going across bumper looks great to me.
santafe308

Post by santafe308 »

got my gauge installed today got the metric to standard adapter and used the copper tubing to run to gauge. it's reading about 55 psi at idle and 80-85 psi on high rpm dose that sound correct?
TX82FIAT

Post by TX82FIAT »

That sounds OK if the engine is cold? pressure drops as the oil temp rises. Gauges will read differnetly, oil type, filter size, and the condition of the engine. After warm up the pressure shou ld be in the 0 - 15 range. if you are crusing at 4000 RPMs down the highway then somewhere in the 75-85 range. Again, all cars will be difference based on the many factors including the type of gauge.

What is more imnportant is that you know how it rersponds so you can spot something out of the ordinary that you would not know from the dummy light. By the time the dummy light comes on you are down a significant amount of oil/pressure.

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
santafe308

Post by santafe308 »

i bought the more or less cheaper sunpro oil gauge in useing the stp oil filter with 20w-50 .it goes down some once warmed up but no wear near between 0-15 psi more like at idle maybe 50 psi but my idle is high even while warm like 1300- 1500 rpms i think i need to adjust my carb more but it runs well .and at like 4k down the hwy in 5th im doing like 70ish i have the rear end out of a 72.
TX82FIAT

Post by TX82FIAT »

If the oil level is appropriate then you are most likely OK at those pressure readings. The idle at 1300 - 1500 RPMs is a bit high and will push the pressure up a little. I think it should be in the 600 - 900 RPM range at idle when warm. My car runs around 700 when cold and 1100 when warm. After all, it is just a guage. They key is to let you know if the pressure levels change unexpectidly from the norms you establish when driving. If it you are at 70ish going down the highway and it starts to drop down or if when you start it up the oil pressure is well below normal levels you know to shut her down and look for an issue.

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban