'76 Front complete Rebuild

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
Hawke187
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider

'76 Front complete Rebuild

Post by Hawke187 »

Well I finally got notification from our friend at IAP that the last major part is on its way....

I had to reorder the Shock towers from them after Caribou screwed me out of over $500, and still no resolution on that as of yet, Bastard...

But i will soon be having both towers welded in and then replacing all 4 control arms w/ ball joints, tie rods and connecting links, center link, shocks, springs, bearings, brakes...
Hmm anything else I missed?

After thats all done next the body work and paint...

Updates as progress commences.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

make sure you service the steering damper, they tend to leak and run dry
bruce bennett

Post by bruce bennett »

So cal Mark

You have mentioned this before in another thread.
Could you elaborate on the type fluid and the how, what, where is this fluid put into said Steering idler.

perhaps mine is not one of these models.
any way to identify them?

I have a"77 124 and I have no mention of this unit needing fluid in the manual I have here.
Thank you in advance.
HOLLYWOODSPIDER

Post by HOLLYWOODSPIDER »

I don't think the manual tells you to put oil in during maintenance intervals, but it does tell you to fill it with oil upon rebuild. On the idler, the fill plug is the 10mm bolt that is on the uppermost, flat portion of the unit.

On the steering box itself, the fill plug is on top, just to one side of the adjuster, and it's got a square head as opposed to hex. Not a lot of room to work in there.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

If the idler is dry, you'll need to take the top off, not just the fill plug. Once the top is off, make sure the idler isn't full of corrosion. I fill them with auto trans fluid unless it's a leaker that the owner doesn't want to fix. Then I'll put something heavier in, either motor oil or 80/90