Suggestions for cleaning the wiring harness?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
bwilson27

Suggestions for cleaning the wiring harness?

Post by bwilson27 »

I've pulled the entire harness out of the '74, now it sits in a gunky pile in the garage.
I want to re-use this harness in my '75 (when it's all pretty and ready), but what would be a good way to completely clean this mass of wires and connectors?
I figure I can either
A) Tear it apart completely, wiping down each wire and cleaning each connection, then re-assemble the whole thing, or
B) somehow soak the tangle in a solution, then hope for the best.

Any ideas? What would you do?
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Re: Suggestions for cleaning the wiring harness?

Post by htchevyii »

I scrubbed all of the overspray and gunk off of my harness with a rag soaked in paint thinner. I cleaned the terminals with a wire brush and contact cleaner and then applied dieletric grease.
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
halg

Post by halg »

Since I had to open up my whole harness I cleaned each wire seperately. I am still cleaning all the connections. Replacing all female pins. See photo in New Connector Pins post
Hal
bwilson27

Post by bwilson27 »

Ah, I see. I've had a picture in my head that came really close to your actual photo.
-Basically, tag as much as possible and take pictures as the whole harness is redone, bit by bit.

The fun never ends! But seriously, having a clean, functional harness in a Fiat is like the holy grail or something, so spending all that time on it, and doing it right, is totally worth it in the end.

I hope. :P