Replacing the dash clock?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
mptreb
Your car is a: 1976 124 Spider

Replacing the dash clock?

Post by mptreb »

I have 2 fiat clocks, neither of which works.

I bought a volvo clock for a couple of bucks -- it worked for a while; apparently Volvo folks have to replace their clocks semi-regularly, too.

So I'm looking for a replacement clock that will fit in place of the original -- ideally, I'd like to put one of the Fiat gauge faces on it.

Any suggestions?
Matt
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Re: Replacing the dash clock?

Post by rlux4 »

I have three. (Suggestions, that is.)
1. Clocks can be repaired. Could be expensive though, I don't know. Radiopilot rebuilt his with good results.
2. Post for a replacement in "Parts Wanted"
3. They come up regularly on Ebay as people part out a car.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

clocks i have owned for my 1978 & 1980 Spiders:
1. the originals

that's right... only the original factory clocks. i did, however, change the crystals. maybe i am just lucky, but i don't think so. these clocks DO work well.

i suggest that you find an original clock, if it needs a new crystal replace it and use what matches perfectly with your other gauges. if you cannot wait for one to appear at Evil Bay, then contact one of our suppliers:
http://www.fiatparts.com
http://www.midwest124.com
both have used gauges handy, for resonable prices.

then, if that doesn't work out for you... my second suggestion is a stock oil pressure gauge. they aren't the most accurate thing, but are fun to watch, and are the same size as the stock clock.
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

Oops. I didn't think of the vendors for used parts. :oops:
Make that four suggestions.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
roanokeSpider

Post by roanokeSpider »

Once i get my car going strong i plan on using an IAP clock http://www.international-auto.com/class ... uments.cfm
Though i wouldn't use it unless i had the stainless rings around all of my guages
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

I went to the local craft store. Found a 2" quartz clock that has an internal AAA battery paid all of $8. Took the Fiat clock apart and put it's dial in the L-cheapo sprayed the gold dress ring flat black. Oh I glued in a mimi lamp so I could see it at night. It ran flawless for 4 years and then just before Freak Out I had to replace the battery. No one commented that it was not the original clock, even though it has sort of Victorian hands
pope

Post by pope »

Most Fiat clocks do work for a long time. Its the lens that gets old and yellow.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

unlike the rest of the gauges, the clock bezel is plastic, which causes the yellowing over time.

a 2" el-cheapo flashlight bezel works just as good as a hobby shop clock... and costs less.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

I agree the original clocks are very reliable. Mine not only had the discolored crystal but the gear to set it had cracked and was slipping on the shaft. I could not set the time.
Putting in the L-cheapo was sort of a whim thing but has worked pretty well.
perthling
Your car is a: 1974 124 Spider

Post by perthling »

spider2081 wrote:I went to the local craft store. Found a 2" quartz clock that has an internal AAA battery paid all of $8. Took the Fiat clock apart and put it's dial in the L-cheapo sprayed the gold dress ring flat black. Oh I glued in a mimi lamp so I could see it at night. It ran flawless for 4 years and then just before Freak Out I had to replace the battery. No one commented that it was not the original clock, even though it has sort of Victorian hands
That's what I was looking for here Down Under. Found a shop which had to get one in, said it should arrive in September... 2007. I'm still waiting for their call to let me know it's arrived. :)

I've parted out a number of Coupes and none of their clocks have worked. the clock in my '74 Spider will work if you give it a kick-start by adjusting the hands - once you disconnect and reconnect the battery it just stays stationary. And the clock in my one-owner '74 CC has just gone on the blink. Still, 35 years out of a clock isn't too bad IMHO.
1975 Fiat 124 CC (project)
1969 Fiat 124AC (project)
1997 Coupe Fiat 20VT (daily driver)
http://www.fiatlancia.org.au
jfrawley
Your car is a: 1982 Spider

Post by jfrawley »

The original clock in my '82 keeps perfect time....not the right time, but perfect none the less. The gear to set it correctly has left the building, so I pull the fuse, wait until the time catches up with the clock, reinstall the fuse, and I'm good to go. PIA, but effective!
John Frawley
Frederick, MD
1982 Spider
http://www.dcfiats.org
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

cool.
Razooli
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by Razooli »

spider2081 wrote:I went to the local craft store. Found a 2" quartz clock that has an internal AAA battery paid all of $8. Took the Fiat clock apart and put it's dial in the L-cheapo sprayed the gold dress ring flat black. Oh I glued in a mimi lamp so I could see it at night. It ran flawless for 4 years and then just before Freak Out I had to replace the battery. No one commented that it was not the original clock, even though it has sort of Victorian hands
@spider2081 Just did this and finally have a working clock that I can set and that keeps accurate time... what a great idea! What kind of "mini lamp" did you use for light?
Lynn Shuler
1982 Spider 2000
Remember, this hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need therapy.
HAWKER
Your car is a: 1982 FIAT SPIDER 2000

Post by HAWKER »

Bag that clock and put a round picture of your family there.... These clocks are a classic conflict for the love of making it right!! A subtitue guage, either oil pressure, or temp that matched the others, ie fuel, water temp, but that requires some enginering if it is to be functional..... Just by the feedback on this clock issue; the writing is on the wall, IT ANI'T WORTH IT!
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by ga.spyder »

Wear a watch!!! :lol:
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !