No turn signal or gas gage!

Gotta love that wiring . . .
dlre77Fiat

No turn signal or gas gage!

Post by dlre77Fiat »

I have just purchased a 77 spider, every thing was working just fine then nothing?
I checked the 2nd from the left fuse to find that the previous owner had a 25 amp
in it, I changed it with an 8 amp but still nothing, checked the grounds in the trunk
and they look OK, the gas gage sometimes bounces on and then off again, sounds
like a loose wire somewhere under the dash? :?
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Re: No turn signal or gas gage!

Post by mdrburchette »

Do you have a wiring diagram for your car? That will help trace where the problem may be. Thanks to Brad Artigue, here's a link to one:
http://www.artigue.com/fiat/pubs/Wiring_1977.pdf
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
danaspider
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000 79 vw bus

Post by danaspider »

I am going to guess that you are dealing with 2 problems. The fuel gauge bouncing on and off, is probably the sending unit in the tank (a common failure). Bet if you fill the tank then the gauge will read full, then aftera drive it will drop to E. Also, if you run the tank to the reserve level the warning light will come on. If that is the problem thwen it is ithe sending unit. The wire wrap resistor in the tank breaks and gives that behaviour. Replacement is like $50 bucks, and only takes a few minutes to replace.

Denise is right, get a wiring diagram, but first check all the bulbs. Bad bulb will do all sorts of bad things. Do signal lights come on and not flash?
Luck Dana

79 Spider 2000
carb
It all about the romace of the car and owner
dlre77Fiat

Post by dlre77Fiat »

Your right on with the bounce of the gas gage, when its full it does register. With the blinkers,
the emergency lights work, just no blinkers?
dlre77Fiat

Post by dlre77Fiat »

Figured out the turn signal problem, simple relay switch was bad, funny how its alway the last thing ya check.
Well at least I know all my grounds are clean and bulbs are new and termanals are shiny :oops:
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

dlre77Fiat wrote:funny how its alway the last thing ya check.
nope. good thing it is the last thing ya check, cuz if you kept looking after ya found it, we'd begin to worry about ya!
:mrgreen: