help - what did they connect to???

Gotta love that wiring . . .
PENNEYTOM

help - what did they connect to???

Post by PENNEYTOM »

As I am trying to make some order of an electrical tape mess under the hood, I found two wires, "jumped" together via a wire with spade lugs into two plug ends - when I took the jumper out, I lost all electrical - nada, no dash lights, no start - just wondering where these would have connected to (a relay???) I have six relays on the fender well, and isolated what each does at least I think I have. As both wires have a plug on each, I assume they plugged into something, I thought maybe a ballast, but don't see a ballast in the wiring diagrams for a 76 spider. And, also while looking around found another plug(coming from the same loom that serves the relays, (with current only when ignition on) and can't find where this was plugged into. As everyhting is working on the car, I'm not going to lose sleep but it would help to know - I thought maybe CA smog related, but have accounted for all that stuff . Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks
Tom
mbouse

Re: help - what did they connect to???

Post by mbouse »

i think those are all good questions.

in order for us to help out, i'd suggest that removing that one jumper wire you did not lose "all electrical" and you will need to get more specific. Physcial location of the jumper, colors of the base wires, exact appliance or end use items disabled.

in the mean time, if it breaks when you remove the wire... stop removing the wire.

additionally, just one other suggestion. no one at this end can determine the extent of the P.O. (previous owners') foul ups on your car. we'll be stabbing in the dark. Get a second wiring diagram from another source; not all of these are 100% complete, and most i've seen do not do a good job of telling the user WHERE in the car each component is located. cross referencing the two wiring diagrams could help out a great deal.
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

My stab in the dark: 1. Battery charge relay 2. Ignition mode relay 3. Fuel pump relay Sorry that was three stabs. Email me if you need a 76 wiring diagram.

matt.scarton@gmail.com
PENNEYTOM

Post by PENNEYTOM »

Thanks- I retaped the jumper so the car will stay running. I'll look for another schematic. I'll post a couple of digitals and maybe that will help you help me identify where the they go or came off of. But like I said, everything works.

Tom
deacon

Post by deacon »

Interesting. I just found the same kind of thing although I did not unplug the jumper to see what happened. I had pulled the console to remove an old alarm (Codealarm) system and noticed a jumper between the Blue with red stripe and white dash and a double violet with white dash not related to the alarm or stereo that had been added. It was obviously home made. I am in the mode of restoring as much of the wiring as possible before trying to figure out some of the issues with the car. I just took possesion of this car a few weeks ago and the PO is not around to question. Any ideas? I have studied a couple of different wiring diagrams and don't have a clue.
PENNEYTOM

Post by PENNEYTOM »

Guess it's a comfort that others are experiencing splice and dice re-wiring. What I found was I DO NOT lose all my electrical when I disconnect the jumper- instead it's only the warning lights and guages - radio, cig lighter, console light still work and the car starts. Further, one of the relays has some splicing - could this be maybe a substitute relay and the PO just jumped the remaining wires together? I gotta figure this out - I want my Fiat as the Italians built it...uh maybe not such a good idea??
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

What year models are you guys working on? The best thing to have is a complete wiring diagram so you can figure out what you're looking at. If you suspect a relay, others on the board have parts cars they'd be willing to share relays from.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
PENNEYTOM

Post by PENNEYTOM »

It's a 76. I am suspecting the battery relay as the diagrams show a five terminal relay- the one in the car is 4 terminal and it looks to have some wiring changes (splices, quickie terminals) and just isn't quite matching up to what I see on the diagram. Assuming the previous owner just substituted what he had - of course just guessing. If that seems about right- I think I can fix properly- I still don't know where the other plug goes to. Four wires- 2 red and ? and 2 white - at least that is what they look to be- the coloring is pretty faded. Any other ideas would be appreciated. And of course now, while changing the trans oil - I find another two wires - 1 cold, 1 hot when ignition on. I've accounted for the switch on the trans for the emissions, and the back-up light switch - both work and connected- so now wondering what these went to? I just left them where they were - plastic tied to the frame and taped. I cannot find on the diagrams for a 76.

Tom