bumper replacement

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
goood44

bumper replacement

Post by goood44 »

I have a 79 spider 2000. When I purchased the car, the tube type bumpers were off. I don't know if I want to re chrome or just leave them off...they weigh too much. I have seen photo's of other spiders with bumperettes like the Abarth's and some with out bumpers at all. If I didn't want to put the tube type back on are there other options, such as the bumperettes and are they available and can they be installed without major modifications? Are bumpers required by law? Thanks in advance for any insight.
goood44 in Indy.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

Street legal is a relative term; relative to your location as already discussed in other posts.

As a general rule, despite the age of your vehicle, to reduce the safety equipment would not be something on the list of legal options.

As discussed earlier, little if any enforcement of these laws is possible.

Best bet is to talk to the owners of cars that have been modified to find out exactly how they accomplished their conversion.

Yeah, big bumpers are indeed a heavy part.
HOLLYWOODSPIDER

Post by HOLLYWOODSPIDER »

somebody is selling the bumperette conversion kit for $279 on ebay. There's also a kit available to convert to early-style bumpers, around $500.