Oxidation

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
HOLLYWOODSPIDER

Oxidation

Post by HOLLYWOODSPIDER »

I've recently purchased a '78 spider in ferrari red. Well, it used to be. It oxidized really badly, then a few years ago someone decided to try waxing it. They lost interest mid-waxjob and left the wax on the paint in the sun for years. I've been able to wash off mych of the wax, but the paint is nearly white with oxidation. I'm using a small orbital waxer with a terry bonnet and tr-7 resin glaze. I'm able to get the paint back to the brilliant red it used to be, but not with any evenness, and it's taking a LONG time. What have you guys used in the past to revive a long-neglected paint job? Would it be better if I used a woolly bonnet on the waxer? A rotary as opposed to orbital waxer? what products/compounds are going to give me the best results? Has anybody ever used the Liquid Glass brand?
TVST*R

Post by TVST*R »

Hollywood-
Can you post a pic?
T 8)
HOLLYWOODSPIDER

Post by HOLLYWOODSPIDER »

I found a miracle product. It's by "No. 7" and it's called "Auto Polish." What led me to purchase it was that it was the only product I found whose instructions tell you that you will get better results with harder rubbing. Also, it tells you to use a back and forth motion as opposed to a circular motion. It's very runny/watery, but it definitely works. A couple of minutes of hard rubbing and the oxidation is gone. I cleaned the area around the new vinyl top I installed today, and it looks great. It gets the paint so clean that it squeaks.

I can't post a pic yet as I have no digital cam. I bought it on ebay, and the pics are still up there. I wonder if there's a way to link them.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

you can link to ebay, just cut or copy the address and paste it into your message here.
To keep the paint shiny now you should put on wax, otherwise it'll oxidize again