front indicators

Gotta love that wiring . . .
murrayarnold

front indicators

Post by murrayarnold »

Ok so I removed the front bumper from my 77 US import Spider and without regard removed and binned the huge front and rear bumpers. Off course this meant having to install new indicators to the front panel. No problem right? Wrong!
The seasoned Fiat owner knows (I am not one by the way) that there are electrical issues here due to the 3 wires and so on. So only now when I get a pair of Austin Mini front indicators that I can’t get them to work. If I wire the blue and black I get a fast blink. Then I turn the lights on and they don’t work all together. I tried wiring the yellow and blue together. This now started looking good. A nice even blink. Even the side marker light did the stuff. But then so do my other front side light that’s inside the main head light. And again, when I turned the lights on it all stopped.
Now I understand the original front indicator had a double filament. That’s great and I now understand how it was done.
But how the hell do I get it to work with a single filament. I am not in a position at the moment to go out and buy an expensive after- market -add on. So has any one got any ideas how to do this?

Thanks for any help guys.
mbouse

Re: front indicators

Post by mbouse »

well, the dual filaments are one for turn signal and one for marker light.

the yellow wire is for marker..this should not flash
the blue wire is for turn signal and the black wire is the ground wire.

if you do not have all four corners with appropriate wattage bulbs, your flasher unit may malfunction causing erratic results. is it just one side (right or left) that does not flash at the correct speed? check your wiring (above) then change out that one bulb.

of course... proper grounds are essential. do those austin mini bulb sockets gleam with cleanliness?
murrayarnold

Post by murrayarnold »

All the wiring is fine. Its just that nothing works due to not having a double element front indicator. I just dont know what to do to bypass this and have it working on a single whether the lights are on or of. I could just buy an older set of indicators for a spider but I still think they would have to be US models. Or I just join the blue and yellow and go without indicators when I put the lights on. Not exactly something to keep the MOT centre happy. But then they would not notice as I would just put the indicators on while the lights were of. Lol.

More help please.
pope

Post by pope »

I dont know how the back of the mini lights look, but cant you replace the socket portion with a new three way and bulb from an auto parts store or is the socket built into the surrounding lens and not replacable.
narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Post by narfire »

I used rear lights from a honda motorcycle. They came out at right angles and all the wiring worked just fine.
I've posted pictures in the past but will try again. The lights were a cheap ($15cdn) fix to the problem of removed bumpers.I got the idea from a fellows fiat in Ga ragano... flying fiat.
ImageImageImageImage
Hope this works, I've had mixed results doing this.
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

you'd have to use a diode in each wire to try and use a single filament bulb
murrayarnold

Post by murrayarnold »

Well i have a pair of lights already. The thing with the honda bike light is that it may already have a 3 wire set up. We dont have this in europe. Abike light only has the 2 wires as its not used as a running light over here.

So Cal.... What do you mean by putting in Diodes? As I said i can blank of the yellow and only run the blue (blinker live) but it produces a very short blink thats not realy easy to see. Its as if all the wires need to be conescted for the system to operate. And if i attach the blue and yellow together I get a normal long blink but all the side lights on the car blink also.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

by hooking the two circuits together you're feeding back power through the other circuit when you power one. That's why the side markers light with the turn signals. Diodes are one-way valves basically, by adding one to each circuit you prevent power from feeding back the opposite direction