GM alt?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
skumandeth

GM alt?

Post by skumandeth »

After buying my Fiaj(Fix It Again Josh-my name is not tony) I have been considering putting in a internally regulated gm alt. $35 w/core charge vs. several hundred, or trying to ask the one electrical shop in the area to rebuild what?? I discussed this with a guy that had built several spiders including an Abarth. He told me he had done it before and it works quite well. Since the mounts are basically the same (a little modification is required) But, was curious if anyone here has tried this swap. I'm more concerned with reliability then originality when it comes to the electrical and such on these lovely little italian wonders.
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Re: GM alt?

Post by htchevyii »

I considered the same swap, but bought a reman int. Reg 65 amp late spider alt instead. I think it was around $75 bucks @ Kragen, but I did have to come up with a fan & pulley.
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

I haven't done it on a Fiat, but have done it on lots of other makes. Gm alt is a reliable unit, nice thing about it, is easy to fix and any parts store anywhere has em. Only trick is to make sure the little brown wire that triggers the regulator either runs thru a bulb ( the best way ) or thru a resistor, if you run straight 12v to it the regulator will fail. If you got any questions let me know.
Keith
skumandeth

Post by skumandeth »

htchevyii wrote:I considered the same swap, but bought a reman int. Reg 65 amp late spider alt instead. I think it was around $75 bucks @ Kragen, but I did have to come up with a fan & pulley.

what is the part # of alt you used, I'm showing a Bosch and Marelli which one would work best for my '75
sptcoupe
Your car is a: 1972 124 Sport Coupe

Post by sptcoupe »

See my May 12th post in "Engne and Tuning". It may be an alternative for an alternator.