Adventures in wiring

Gotta love that wiring . . .
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Adventures in wiring

Post by ga.spyder »

First...I am bad with wiring,reading diagrams,etc... I have had a intermittent problem with my ign. switch,plus the car has a generic switch and the double relay has been bypassed from the switch.Key on...fuel pump on.I got a switch out of a 81(thanks twincam),in great condition.When I bought the car,82 f.i.,the p/o told me he had put this switch in,but left everything so an original could be put back.This appears to be true? The connectors are still intact,and he made spade conn. for his aftermarket switch.Ok..he has a red wire (they are all red!) spliced into one of the other red wires,going over the column and attached to a grn/blk that has the original conn. See pic

By the switch,there is a blue/white that comes from behind the console(relay?) that is tapped into a ,you guessed it,red wire

could it be that all I have to do is tie the thegrn/blk and blue/white together.They still both have the factory conn. on them.Since the car is running great,I dont want to start pulling the old switch w/o being sure.Also,what is the procedure for getting the Fiat switch into the mount?The lower column cover isnt on the car,should there be one or does it matter.I recently looked at 2 other car that didnt have the cover.Thanks guys for any help,and Ron ,I know you went over some of this with me a month ago.I thought I had saved your message...apparently not!
Craig
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Re: Adventures in wiring

Post by mdrburchette »

Craig, I believe your switch from the 81 has a white plastic connector on the end, doesn't it? I would think you could connect it to the connector on the car, mating the corresponding wires. As far as installing the factory switch, it should just slide right in with the key in the MAR position. I did find a bottom cover if yours is missing one.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
ga.spyder

Post by ga.spyder »

Hey Denise, I figured out the switch install,and the connectors will go back together.The issue is that it is wired now to bypass the relay.Key on...fuel pump on.Those wire he has spliced,I dont know if they go together or should be somewhere else in the harness.If I put it back like it is,the relay will still be bypassed.The cover is not with the car,thanks I'll make arrangements to get it next time I am up your way.
Craig
Craig Nelson

Fling It Around Turns !
racydave

Post by racydave »

Craig, can you record where the wires are now. You could hook the new switch to the wiring to sort it out, and install it later?
ga.spyder

Post by ga.spyder »

Dave,that is probably what I will do.The grren/blk wire in the pic,is the fuel pump.That red wire he has spliced to it is powering it whenever the key is 'on'...not correct but it has been working for 2 years. My issue is to find out the proper way to wire that grn/blk through the double relay.Then the pump will come on for a few seconds,then wont run until you turn the key to start.The pump runs all the time now.The second pic shows a splice into a wire coming from behind the console? No idea!!
Craig
Craig Nelson

Fling It Around Turns !
racydave

Post by racydave »

How about gettin the new switch working, then workin the relays?
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

Craig, I'm away from the house (and my car) for another day at least, so I can't check mine to compare. But, if memory serves, the green with black wire is for the fuel pump. I do remember that it's the color that goes from the dual relay to the pump. However, you will be flumoxed if you make all the right connections and expect the fuel pump to run for a couple seconds when you turn the key on. It doesn't. The fuel pump gets the signal to run from the AFM. When you crank the engine, intake suction moves the flap and this starts the pump. In the same way you can turn your key on and move the flap by hand to check if the pump is running. There is no timer or pressure cut out in the fuel pump electrical circuit, so there is nothing that would stop the pump after a couple of seconds. This couple of seconds of running before you crank the engine is a common misunderstanding. I had heard this and drove myself crazy trying to figure out why my car wasn't doing it back when I was trying to figure out the system.
I think I'll be done here in Ventura tomorrow, and then I'll be home where I can compare with my car's wiring. I'll let you know what I find.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
ga.spyder

Post by ga.spyder »

Thanks,guys.I will wait until someone with a 82 can look under their dash and get me the info.I could install the new switch,but the car wont run unless I jury rig the wires together,The switch thats in there does work,so nothing would be gained.I am home today,so maybe I can poke around and find the mystery connection.The p/o went to a lot of trouble to put the existing switch in,and not remove any connectors,to allow a factory unit to be reinstalled.There is nothing cut so the solution is probably pretty simple.
Craig
Craig Nelson

Fling It Around Turns !
ga.spyder

Post by ga.spyder »

Got 'r' done!! Putting in the new switch was pretty cut and dried,however the car wouldnt run.No power to the fuel pump.So,I contorted myself under the dash and started going thru the harness.Taped up behind the fuse box was what I had been searching.The male end of the fuel pump wire.She fired right up! And as a added bonus ,I now have a really annoying 'key chime'.Thanks guys,this forum really works for me and I do appreciate it. :D
Craig
Craig Nelson

Fling It Around Turns !
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

Ah, sweet success.
I'm home now, so you posted just in time to keep me from crawling under my dash. Thanks Craig.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.