Tube Bumper Thoughts & Solutions?

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
speedracer

Tube Bumper Thoughts & Solutions?

Post by speedracer »

The question of what to do with the late model tube bumpers seem to go on forever. I've seen alot of interesting solutions given here, but almost all of them involve throwing them out!

Well, short of getting rid of them, is there anything we can do to make them more attractive?

I was wondering if anyone here has tried to drain the fluid out of the bumper shocks, and then pushed the tube bumpers closer to the body of the car? It seems fairly simple, and I'm thinking the tube bumpers might look more attractive closer to the body. They might appear to actually be part of the car instead of these monstrous appendages hanging way off the front and back of the car. The only problem I see is that the rubber ends might get to close to the body.

Any thoughts on this or any other solutions out there?
So Cal Mark

Re: Tube Bumper Thoughts & Solutions?

Post by So Cal Mark »

I' ve seen many cars with the bumpers in tight to the body. Most of them started by getting bumped and shoving one side in. It does clean the lines up quite a bit.
Check out Pintopowers' Spider, he cut the center section out of one tube both front and rear and it looks good
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

I too have seen guys that drain the fluid and compress the shocks, pulling the bumper close to the body.

as soon as i get the home computers up and running again, i'll be posting pictures of my recent modification that replaces the tubes with something like a Cobra bumperette. I've been anxiously awaiting getting the computer back on line...
speedracer

Post by speedracer »

So Cal Mark wrote:I' ve seen many cars with the bumpers in tight to the body. Most of them started by getting bumped and shoving one side in. It does clean the lines up quite a bit.
Check out Pintopowers' Spider, he cut the center section out of one tube both front and rear and it looks good
Wow, I really like all of the tasteful, understated changes pinto made on his spider! :D

Nothing to crazy or over-modified, just simple things that really make his spider stand out. I like what he did by cutting the bumpers. The fog lights in the front are perfect, but he really improved the look of the rear of the car by moving the license plate down and getting rid of the plate lights. Very clean looking!

I don't however think he moved the bumpers in. Anyone have some pics of spiders with there bumpers pushed in close to the body? I'd like to see how that looks before I go that route.
mbouse wrote: I too have seen guys that drain the fluid and compress the shocks, pulling the bumper close to the body.

as soon as i get the home computers up and running again, i'll be posting pictures of my recent modification that replaces the tubes with something like a Cobra bumperette. I've been anxiously awaiting getting the computer back on line...
Sounds pretty cool. I can't wait to check that out... 8)
4babycar

Post by 4babycar »

Mike, hurry up and get those pictures posted! I have been waiting for the guys in the shop to get enough slack in their work load to make mine and it would be great to see how they look, of if there any mods that I want to make before I have to pay for the Cheesy Westerns that they charge me!
Jazgeek

Post by Jazgeek »

I too was wondering about what to do with the bumpers... mine were rusting in several places and I couldn't find a decent set of old ones for a good buck so I decided to powdercoat my bumpers black to match the black stripes on my 81. interestingly enough, by powder coating them gloss black and putting a clearcoat on it makes the bumpers blend in with the rest of the car.... I was really surprised how well it worked.

I'll try to post some pic's later, she's still in the warehouse behind a crate or two waiting for nice weather.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

well, i just got word that the computer is "fixed".... so i should be able to postum on Friday
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by ga.spyder »

Mike,did you lower the car also? I removed my bumpers last winter and was very disappointed in the look.It reminded me of my last rockcrawler! :shock: I put them back on ,and they will stay until I get a chance to lower the ride.I love the Cobra style bumperettes,looking forward to your pix.
Craig
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !
speedracer

Post by speedracer »

ga.spyder wrote:Mike,did you lower the car also? I removed my bumpers last winter and was very disappointed in the look.It reminded me of my last rockcrawler! :shock: I put them back on ,and they will stay until I get a chance to lower the ride.
Craig
Yeah, I could see that becoming a problem. Those two bumpers and there components have to weigh about 100lbs! I'm so concious of the ride height, I always try to have a full fuel tank just to lower the car alittle bit! :?

Probably a dumb question, but if I were to drill into the bumper shock to release the fluid inside, where should i drill? In the visible parts right behind the bumper or do I have to go underneath to get to where the fluid is? (told you it was dumb) :oops:
racydave

Post by racydave »

If you drill into the shock, it should be towards the rear, otherwise it will only compress as far as the hole. And it is pressurized! I also would either weld it or put a bolt into it for stability. I would remove it from the vehicle also.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

yeah, my front bumper with one extra set of lights weighed 53#... rear bumper must be at least 50#.

no, lowering will have to wait for another day. it is nearly time to drive here in "winter wonderland"

i am in the process of restoring files to a new hard drive. once that is done, i will be good to go for progress pictures.

btw - if anyone knows how to import an outlook 2003 file from a back up drive to the clean hard drive... i need some help right now. mbouse at chartermi dot net
narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Post by narfire »

Once the hole is drilled and fluid drained,is the bumper ok to cut? No parts going to fly into the next province? At car fires I've seen those things take off. I was wanting to modify to accept the rubber bumperettes using spacers.
Thx
Chris
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box
azygoustoyou

Post by azygoustoyou »

Hey guys.
I don't plan on using the tube bumpers at all. I was wondering since I'm not putting them back on. With all that weight off the car. How much of the stock springs should I take off to give it a good look. I would like the car to be either even or just a hair higher in the back so when I do add weight to the trunk. I know it was said to take off one coil in the front and two in the back. But I'm guessing that was with the tube bumpers on. I have nothing to go by since the car is apart and the springs sitting on the ground. Here's a pic with everything off the car.Image
speedracer

Post by speedracer »

Well, I drilled two small holes in one of the shocks and (drum roll please...) Nothing came out! :shock:

One of the holes is in the extended single shock component, and the other is further to the rear of the shock through both parts, and well, no fluid came out. I haven't tried to push it in yet and maybe thats what I have to do, but I was expecting a nice strong spurt of fluid to shoot out... :(
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

pusher in, then figure out how to keeper in; else, everytime someone bumps up against your bumper with their big fat knee, the setting will change and you will have a crooked bumper.