Electrical Problem

Gotta love that wiring . . .
RDSPYDR

Electrical Problem

Post by RDSPYDR »

I finally got the dash back together and took her out for a spin. First thing I noticed was the O2 sensor light was on, but as soon as I started the car it went away. Everything went well until I went to turn her off and she would not turn off. Finally got the car turned off by disconnecting the ignition switch. Wasn't sure of any other way to do it.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I am taking both books back to my little shop along with exploded views of the electrical system and see if I can track it down.

The only thing I changed in the engine compartment was the coolant system rubber was replaced.

BTW - I love the Michigan Short Shifter I installed over the winter.

Alos checked the turn signal signals as they didn't seem to work as well. ( The Hazards worked fine though)
Last edited by RDSPYDR on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tappy
Your car is a: 124 spider 2000 1979

Re: Electrical Problem

Post by Tappy »

my wild guess would be that the coil still gets power after turning the ignition switch ? I think some lamps like the o2 sensor just work shortly when the ignition is turned (like the oil and battery light) to make sure the bulps work

i dont have a o2 sensor , maybey someone pop in with a better idea ?
FineItalianAutomobile TechnologyImage

pls don't see what i write , read what i mean
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

If you don't remind us what year your car is we would have to look up your information and hope that it's in your member profile. So, I can't tell you what color it is, but check that the wire going from the ignition switch to the coil doesn't still have 12V when you turn the key to "off".
Also, you say you have the dash back together, how much wiring was disconnected while the dash was apart. Have you checked that it all got put back together correctly?
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
RDSPYDR

Post by RDSPYDR »

I numbered all connectors and tagged all connections; however I believe I found the culprit.

HoweverI would appreciate a pic of ( hopefully) an 81 ingnition switch that is wired. I have one terminal on the switch that has no wire.

Yes. I am learning to take pictures before disassembly.