Wheel bearings

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
Mark_vaughn

Wheel bearings

Post by Mark_vaughn »

When do you know to have the bearings replaced? I am working on the suspension right now and I noticed how difficult is is to turn the wheels. Not like any other car where if you give it a good spin it will roll for a while. These seem to have ALOT of friction in them. You are doing good to get a full spin out of them before they stop.

Any thoughts?
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

more than likely the brakes are dragging.
Mark_vaughn

Post by Mark_vaughn »

Cant be the brakes b/c I already took the calipers off. There shouldn't be anything holding it back.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

well, you didn't say the calipers were off :o The wheel bearings may be improperly adjusted, but if it's been driven very far like that they should be removed, cleaned, inspected and either repacked or replaced.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

Replacement bearings are not that expensive. However, they are a maintenance item that is often overlooked. If you are going to the trouble of removing them for inspection, you might as well replace with new bearings (properly packed with grease).
Jim DeShon

Post by Jim DeShon »

When re-assembling the wheel bearings, make sure they are tight enough that there is no decernable play in the bearing but, the washer under the nut can be slid back and forth with a screw driver. Be sure to install a new cotter pin. ...J.D.
ventura ace

Post by ventura ace »

Jim DeShon wrote: Be sure to install a new cotter pin. ...J.D.
I don't think you'll find a cotter pin on the spiders. The shop manual tells you to torque the nut to 5 ft-lbs, then back off the nut 30° before staking the nut. My personal experience is that this leaves the wheel bearings too loose sometimes. If that's the case, I back it off less than 30° before staking the nut. In a nutshell, you want to tighten it enough to take out as much play as possible, but not too much that will put drag on the wheel as it spins.

I use a hammer and a punch to stake the nut into the top and bottom grooves on the spindle. This design irks me -- I'd much rather have the cotter pin type of retention.

alvon
Jim DeShon

Post by Jim DeShon »

Sorry, wrong car. You are correct. It's been a while since I have been into my Fiat's frontend [I've owned the car since 85']. I still use the same procedure except for the cotter pin. I don't care for torque specs. on wheel nuts The threads may be tight or loose effecting the bearing play or, the inner race may hang up on the spindle. By using the washer to judge how tight the bearing is you know you are OK. I had a bearing sieze on the freeway one time by torqueing it "to spec.". To each...his own, though. :) ...J.D.