Strange starting problem

Gotta love that wiring . . .
mctaco

Strange starting problem

Post by mctaco »

I don't know what I did, but somehow I killed my Spider. And I've only had it for 48 hours!

This morning I went out to look at the radiator fan; I don't think it's working. First thing I did was start it up and pull it out of the garage, and then I drove it around the block to get it warmed up. Then I came back to my driveway and turned it off. I started it back up again, no problems, and watched for the radiator fan to turn on, which it did not do.

I noticed that the ground wire connected was not connected for the fan, so I went into the trunk and unplugged the negative battery cable. I plugged the ground wire in. Then I went back and reattached the negative battery cable. There was a little spark when I reattached the negative batter cable. I turned the key until I got the power going, and then I tried to start it.

Nothing. There was a short sound like the starter tried to work but immediately killed. I turned the key off, and this time when I turned it back on I got no power, and obviously the engine did not crank.

I went into the trunk and assumed that I had not attached the negative battery cable properly. It was pretty old so I replaced cable with a new one. I made sure both the positive and negative cables were tightly attached to the battery. The battery is brand new.

Again, I would get power when I turned the key, but when I tried to start the engine it would immediately kill, and then I would get no power at all.

If I wiggle the positive battery cable and then turn the key, I get power and I hear a ticking sound (this must be the alternator?). The headlights and turn signals work fine. But whenever I turn the key it kills immediately.

I tried to jump start the battery twice, and this did not help.

I am at a loss as to what happened. I didn't do anything except unplug the negative battery cable and then re-attach it.

Could this be a bad cable? Bad starter? Why would it stop working so suddenly?
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

if you can wiggle either cable, they aren't tight enough! You're experiencing a voltage drop. Make sure the inside of the cable end is clean, as well as the battery post and then tighten them sufficiently. You shouldn't be able to twist the cable end on the battery post!
mctaco

Post by mctaco »

Well, I figured it out.

When I said "wiggle the cable", I ment that I would slightly bend the cable; it is firmly attached to the battery terminal.

So! I just went back out to the garage and took a hard look at the main cable. I held the cable between my thumb and index finger and pulled slightly . The cable sheered away from the clamp! This thing must have been losing voltage, but it was only when I moved the battery this last time (to unplug the negative cable) that the positive cable cracked and dropped power.

I have to replace the entire cable. I've never done this before. Any help?
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

replacement cable ends are available at any parts store. Strip the end of the cable and it clamps into the new cable end. Cost about $3
mctaco

Post by mctaco »

After I posted the original message, I went out and re-attached the clamp to the cable. It looks like the previous owner had himself patched the clamp, because the cable end wasn't cut cleanly and was fastened poorly. I cut the cable end, stripped it, and screwed it on very tight. As good as new, and it started right up! My son and I went for a drive this evening, and it was wonderful.

Thanks for the help.