Dominik's Speakers and Fabrication!

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
Danno

Dominik's Speakers and Fabrication!

Post by Danno »

It's all been put through a computer translator, cause I don't speak German (I know, I know, with a name like Reinhardt, I outta!) So sorry it doesn't all make sense. It's such a long post I didn't take the time to go through and see if I could edit the things I could figure out on my own. And also for some reason, when i copied it out of the text editor it got weird spaces on it. Sorry!!!! Anyway, looks awesome Dominik!

Hello dear Spideristinnen and Spideristis, I would like to give you my experience and

history to my sound project. Me it is clear that I will polarize surely thereby. The camp

will find it good, which will smile at others it and listens say, there I rather the

sound of the exhaust. Now, also I belong honour to latter camp. But listened times hand

on the heart, also you ward already longer on the way and thereby to the music. And in

this case I stand on Hifi Qulitaet. BUT no "full concrete three-BMWS" hopping Basskisten!

My Spider is a 85er DS with luggage file. Into these the previous owner an oval

Dreiwegekoaxsystem of Sony on a small 20 Watt Alpine amplifier had hung. In front in each

case a 10er was point of blue broadband chassis in the floor space. These were directly

attached at the Philips CD/Radio. Thus I was not content. For this reason I exchanged the

radio against a Alpine 7294R with CD change-over switch. I attached the small 20Watt

Alpine amplifier to the front loudspeaker, in the back a Sony 80Watt output stage. That

was already an increase, but I was still not content!

Als next installed I in front a separate 2-Wege-System of MT quart. It concerned the 13cm

Combo of the Discussion: http://www.mbquart.com/2003/en_US/produ ... detail.asp?

isArchive=&cat=auto&series=discus%20series&strt=1&model=DSE+213

I hung the low means Toener into a small plastic housing of Monacor. This is used as

housing for Mitteltoener in condition boxes. But I was content not yet. The sound was

topfig. Of bass could not be spoken. If you openly drive need you simply level

(achievement). Thus Fader to the rear, good to which is bass, sound and level. But then

the three-dimensional sound was missing, there the whole achievement next distant I from

the rear come as the small housings of the front Combo's. You do not believe which that a

sound improvement gave at one time! The chassis continue to come sound-technically much

down as I thought. Now I approached the thing slowly. The level was only missing. Then I

attached test way the Sonyendstufe to the front Combo. And there see, the Dinger make

even for Pegel!Bei the rear Sony 3Wege-Coax had itself in the course of the years, but

the diaphragm suspension discharges. Those were only from foam material and by the UV

light were decomposed. That means an exchange is announce over the years I again and

again thoughts had made, what I could change in my plant, and/or like I this

Vorstelle:•Tiefe tones by the human ear badly and/or do not locate themselves at all. For

this reason the rear 3-Wege-System should be headed for separately. That is, the bass

diaphragm separately from the central and Hochtoener. This would be certainly convertible

at the chassis. However braeuchte I an additional output stage, which could be variable

headed for also specially in the level. I wanted •Vorne a housing, in order to protect

the chassis from the remainder splash-water of the front wheels. This should be as

largely as necessary/possible, erhalten.•Es around as broad a frequency spectrum as

possible for should, clean sound be as more precise as possible. Closed as open. That

means, I need a Equalizer, with which I have the possibility two different attitudes to

store and if possible simple to call kann.•Die originality should remain retained. That

is called the whole installation must as invisibly and/or backpreparable as possible

arranged be-being what me however the whole years from it prevented the project to start,

lay to the fact that this always serves a certain plate. Healterisvollkonkretbumbum;-)

Jetzt began I to inform. Whole expectation which the plate concerns became fully and

fulfills completely! The rear chassis were scrap iron. Which Mach I with the opening? Set

I again new oval Koax there purely, or only a few Subs? What and like much would I like

investment? Since the repainting was decided for this winter, as much existing parts as

possible assigned will-will mine should choice met then the oval Olympic gold of

MacAudio. Three-ways a Coax, which can be headed for separately.Which also with 200 EUR

with mm is payable. In front I wanted to leave the 13 Disken. I wanted the radio, the

change-over switch and the Sonyendstufe also maintained. In front the Sony, in the back a

new one, with which I can head for the deep and Hochtoener separately. That means, a

three-way output stage with inserted Frequenzweiche.Nun went I on a territory on which I

any longer was not been versed. Thus I looked for myself car a Hifi special cunning. I

found that in Erhard wagner from Stuttgart. I described my concrete conceptions, as I

imagined the housings and as small the budget is. The MT quart it are to be inserted but

the housing should be so laid out that also-of 16 chassis are possible. It gave me very

good Tipps and was recommended in the back instead of the 3Wege only a few Subs to

insert. The rear 2 ways bring only 10-20% of the sound. A good front system does not need

additional rear central and Hochtoener. Also he did not find beaconing with the Sony

optimal. The space conditions in Spider are limited. For the tail system an additional

output stage was needed. He suggested 5 channel output stage to me. Equipment for all

loudspeakers. In addition has also equal the appropriate frequency switches also on

board. That was very pleasant to me. And now it went to the preserving. Speak building of

housings. With my slope to perfectionism it was clear that the empty space behind the

fender between door stop and front wheel should be used, bestmoeglichst by a loudspeaker

housing. This is built from GRP. A friendly light aircraft manufacturer me thereby to

certainly help. Thus I began with the production of a Positvform from polystyrene for the

right and also for the left side. That was a Sauerei. I have the whole garage of my

landlord with Styroschleifstaub embed afterwards the forms were primed and sanded. That

looked already very much promising! Now the dividing line was specified, and separated

exactly at this the beautiful parts into two halves. Now subsequently, glued on a

baseplate from hard fiber, and in Silbergraumetallic colored autolacquer painted (stop

had nothing different one to the Hand).

Now it went to the production of the female forms. From these the actual loudspeaker

housings are produced later. Thus one could present even a small series.
•Mehrmaliges coat the form with separation wax. Each layer dry let and up-polish. At

least 5 Schichten.
•Aufbringen of black form resin.
•Das resin angelierte with a mixture from cotton flakes and glass fiber shreds is coated.

This gives a clutch layer for the later Laminierung.
•Laminieren to the later form with epoxy resin and glass fiber fabric. At least 5-8

layers. There properly material drauf!

•Nach the drying process over night at ambient temperature the forms were annealed

afterwards 10 hours with 60°C. Only this brings the Endhaerte.•Anschliessendes to forming

out. That was genuine stretching!

manufactured so my first four form halves. A full success. I of course again

possibilities for improvement found, but but it was now too late. Now to the first

prototypes of the final Gehaeuse!Der production process is similar the building of forms

was. Only that I wanted saving for reasons of the assembly as much as possible in weight.

So I had to make a structure of sand yielding the better pressure strength. The meant

however that I had to manufacture the parts in 2 work procedures with respective

intermediate drying, which takes place under vacuum. That was a challenge and a material

battle. And directly with the first Projekt!Nach releasing from form and, the inner

surfaces of the housings with "Brax anti-roar paste" besaeumen were fullly painted. This

is to absorb and/or eliminate the impact sound of the housings. Subsequently, the housing

halves were stuck together with one another. To the drying process the first Anprobe at

the later designation of location came. The trouble had been worthwhile itself! The

Auslitern resulted in a volume of 10 litres! Now I showed total weight per part of 1,2Kg.

Now I showed my "Hifi dealer of the confidence" the conditions of the project. That was

inspired lightup. With so an expenditure it recommended an full-active system. That

means, each loudspeaker is headed for by a seperatem loudspeaker channel. This was

problem-free realizable with the planned output stage. Now all more compromiseless for

Hifi one designed. In the meantime I knew also which with the today's geraetschaften of

everything am possible. I did not want to use a new radio however for budget reasons.

Meins is still topp correct. In addition I have very much on cartridge. Yes, smiles at me

now only;-)Vorne one should in addition, equal of 16 a Combo be used. Here I relied fully

and completely on Eddy. Something already disconcerted was I. I found the loudspeaker

system in no test report. This belonged to the philosophy of the manufacturer larva in

Germany those do not have that necessarily and Eddy swears on the Teile!Nun had I first

times enough from the sound project. For diverson I started the "project lacquer finish".

This have I already 10 years before me moved over....

the installation of the housings lined up however now.

But the installation of the housings lined up now. Loudspeaker opening purely, the

existing opening in the sheet metal on that adapted of 16, and? Fits! The contact area to

the body have I with Wuerth "sticks and seals" durable closed. Damming wool and chassis

purely, fertig.
parallel to it were again shifted the cables. The stromkabel to the output stage received

a cross section from 30mm². The same cable was again laid also for the starter. I led the

river across the driver's side. The audio signals were again shifted over the front seat

passenger side in network hose. Like that it was guaranteed that it gives to no

interferences by energized cables. Here it was of advantage that the interior of paint

was ago still completely divided. All cables manufactured and exactly cut to length-

cutting to length those output stage came to the old place of the CD change-over switch.

At the rear front wall. This tapers itself in the center to the passenger space. (aeltern

Spider to Bj. 83 has here the battery.) Now around it to install however there I had to

build only a mounting plate, around the diagonal bordwand to umgehen.
Now it went to the housings for the Hochtoener. These should be installed as satellites

either onto the instrument panel or to the lower cowl. Thus Erstmal a positive form on

the turning lathe turned. At the same time the mounting plates for the satellites were

manufactured. Glue on on a mother board. Sand and paint. The same play as above already

described. So slowly routine rein.

The next challenge came with the new luggage file. As already said, it became always

compromise-loose. I had myself to insert in the meantime in addition decided in the back

to 2 Subwoofer with in each case 25 cm diameters. Everyone requires a closed volume of 21

litres gross. This was not feasible with the original crate. Thus I did not come around a

new building drumrum. Since slowly the time scarcely it is already July should the

housing as unique piece without forms be manufactured. The expenditure had become now too

large me. Production of the Gehaeusewannen:•direkt in the vehicle with expanded metal

gestaltet•mit foil deflected and with in each case 2 layers of GRP

auslaminieren•entformen •im car both tubs with 22 litres water fully to run in each case

leaves, wasserlinie markieren•Trocknen to leave, sandblast (for the adhesion) and with 5

layers of GRP laminieren•Einbau the original Kofferablage•Markieren of height, cutting

the GRP tubs to length on the same Hoehe•Schallwand from 25er MDF to cut to form and

following anpassen•Aufkleben additionally together the laminiert.•Anpassen

Abschlussbretts•Bespannen, general finish work defiance of the demanded 22 litres for

each Woofer became the new luggage file only 15mm more highly, than the Original!
with "stick and seal",

The attitude of the active frequency switches settled Eddy. With its experience that

could be done very fast. The sound check was simply ingenious. I was absolutely inspired.

The expenditure was worthwhile itself! That of 16 Combo draws very finely and precisely.

The levels are simple phaenomenal. The bass beautifully low-handing. It makes correctly

fun like the system plays. But I was not yet completely content. The stage image was not

yet cleanly enough. This was correctable however only over the change of the loudspeaker

running times. But but I need a sound processor. About this employment I had already for

a long time thought. It is however again additional equipment, which needs also a

designation of location. And here I had still no new one for the CD change-over switch.

Where I should clean-build then still the processor. Now where already all cables lie. A

further change was absolutely ausgeschlossen!Aus this reason does rather I without the CD

change-over switch and the cartridges. Built instead a Alpine CD radio of the type 9835R

in. As replacement for the change-over switch is used shortly iPod.However the exchange

of the Headunit brought again a clear sound improvement! Then the active frequency switch

with the parametric Equalizer and run time price increase over the radio makes the whole

thing combined perfectly. At the radio I have now also the possibility the whole

attitudes, whether openly or closed drive, accordingly to store and over few keys call.

This is however not at all necessary. Because the achievement is more than sufficient.

The whole sound comes from the front. The stage is direct over the instrument panel. With

open drive lose you eh only to bass, and I can that by an additional depressing the key

anschliesend like the volume increase and/or lower
Fazit:Der expenditure was immensely, nevertheless built I at the system (with

interruptions) from October to August, but the result is absolutely convincing! Who does

not place so high requirements against the sound, and/or also compromises is received can

very easily at little expenditure a good sound into its Spider build itself. The decision

is with everyone. I for my part make me happy, which beautiful sound of the technique

speak exhaust and the sound of the fine plant depending upon desire and mood to listen-

listening who on the taste came now, and likewise at such a project dares itself, wishes

I much fun thereby. It is worthwhile itself in any case!
ventura ace

Post by ventura ace »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! C O O L !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alvon
Hjulen

Post by Hjulen »

Thanks pretty sweet...not going to lie though...I just looked at the pictures.
dominik

Post by dominik »

Hi Danno,

thanks for your service :D

Greets
Dominik
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

Wow, what beautiful work!
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

I, too just looked at the pictures. This guy really did an impressive amount of work on his car! Don't think I'd spend that kinda coin on a sound system though.....I'm an exhaust freak.
bandit

Post by bandit »

WOW I was impressed as well great job ! nice paint as well love the
color ...

Daniel
Spyderbuddy

Post by Spyderbuddy »

all i can say is sweet
HOLLYWOODSPIDER

Post by HOLLYWOODSPIDER »

OMFG!!! I did exactly the same thing to my spider!!! Right down to the fabricating of speaker expansion boxes in the rear quarters! Just kidding. I bought a kenwood tape deck off of Ebay for $10 and some 6.5" sony x-plod speakers for the kick panels. You can hear it at stoplights, but high performance it is not.

When I had a spider back in high school, I had a speaker box with a 15" sub in the back seat and a 700 watt amp. This was during the bass craze that swept american teens in the early '90s. What a dork I was.