My Spider??

General chat about the car goes in here.
Site Owner
Site Admin

My Spider??

Post by Site Owner »

Ever wonder after all these years what my car actually looked like?
Well, if you'd like to see it I posted some pics today. Just go back out to the main site http://www.fiatspider.com and click on the Photo Gallery.

It's a 1983 Pininfarina - mostly original except for new top, ANSA exhaust, better stereo and I took those ugly bumpers off. Have a look.

=e=
Founder & Owner
FiatSpider.com
So Cal Mark

very nice

Post by So Cal Mark »

the car looks sharp without the big bumpers. I've been searching for a decent looking park/turn light to put in the lower valance once the bumpers are gone
Site Owner
Site Admin

Turn signal lights w/out bumper

Post by Site Owner »

Mark -
Would you believe that those are just some cheap truck marker lights that I picked up at Track Auto! They worked perfect in the hole in the front cowl.

That was a sweet car, I miss it sometimes. Although I looked like a "Shriner at a parade driving those little cars" in it - I'm 6'-8" about 250lbs - lol.

But you know, I could fit in the spider fine. Lots of leg room, unlike a Porsche - never could get in one.

=e=
Founder & Owner
FiatSpider.com
So Cal Mark

big

Post by So Cal Mark »

wow, 6'8", you could take out the front seat and drive from the back! I'll bet you never drove with the top up
frencjas

Post by frencjas »

I'm 6'7 and drove a Spider for a couple of years. I then sold it for a 911... 911 was fast and fun, but I'm thinking about getting back into a Spider. Leg room is unbeleivably good in a Fiat.

Jason
Site Owner
Site Admin

911?

Post by Site Owner »

Wow Jason - you were able to fit in the 911?
I could never make it work and I have always wanted one.
I had a 924 once and it was ehhhh, ok. But yep, the Spider has great leg room.

=e=
Founder & Owner
FiatSpider.com
frencjas

Post by frencjas »

I have to admit, the 911 only fit me once I had the seats lowered and the sunroof top replaced with a non-sunroof panel. Once I did 1 track day, I was addicted and turned it into a track dedicated car one part at a time. I sold it once I couldn't enjoy it on the street anymore. I had tons of headroom with fixed bucket seats nearly mounted on the floor, and no sunroof, even with a helmet on! I will not buy another sunroof 911!

As I recall, the Fiat Spider had ample headroom with top up, and generous leg room. If I get another Spider, I will probably get low profile bucket seats and mount them as low as possible so I look more "normal" when driving it, and keep my hat from getting yanked off with the top down. I remember all the little problems with my 1980 Spider, and am still deciding whether or not I want to go through that again. I wouldn't even consider buying one, except the car was so damn fun to drive, top down, fuel efficient, rarely see another on the road, etc...

Jason