ECU car not starting?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
4babycar

Re: ECU car not starting?

Post by 4babycar »

The pick-up is pretty easily removed from the dizzy. Remove the cap and rotor (don't drop the rotor screws down into the cross member - don't ask). Remove the three screws that hold the pick-up in place, 2 on the metal plate on the pick-up and 1 screw on the black rubber strain relief just as it enters the dizzy. Most of the time that I have had troubles with the pickup it has been with the two exposed wires inside the dizzy. Often when it goes you see an erratic response of the tach just before it goes. Hope this helps.
radiopilot

Post by radiopilot »

I did not remove the coil or module but I will remove the unit tomorrow and do thorough check of the module and clean it/use the lithium grease.

Thank you on the removal steps, I will do just that if the weather holds up tomorrow, seems pretty straight forward (I will remember to prevent dropped screws). :)

Nick
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

Good luck Nick, I hope you're on the right track to solving it.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
launieg
Your car is a: 1981 spider 2000

Post by launieg »

In case it has not been mentioned to you, the module can be purchased at any auto parts store. Take it in with you for a matchup -- it's a GM part. Under $30 last time I bought one. The new one comes with the lithium (dialectric) grease.
Launie
'81 Spider Rolling Restoration
radiopilot

Post by radiopilot »

Thanks all... the car is purrring like a kitten, turned out I removed the module from the heatsink, measured the terminals on my DVM and sure enough it was shorted, bought the GM part for $17, installed it today. When I tested it earlier it was still on the car so it checked out allright, but in reality it was dead... go figure. :D

Nick
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

Excellent! Great to hear Nick. Kudos go to you for doing such a good job of describing the symptoms well enough for diagnosing.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by ga.spyder »

Nick, I had the same problem lat week.I took out a working Marrelli module and put in a hi-perf. GM part. Ran the car a couple times and then it went dead.Put the old,stock module back(after much cursing and swapping coils,etc..).Runs fine .Go figure.
Craig
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !
radiopilot

Post by radiopilot »

Well gotta tell ya Mark sure does know his stuff, I should have look at this module a little closer, seemed straight forward but when panicking sets in you lose focus... I hope my bad experience gives others something to look forward if they have similar problems. The car sat for quite a while waiting for the opportune time to diagnose it. Now... to get that console with cup holder started on. :D

Cheers,

Nick
launieg
Your car is a: 1981 spider 2000

Post by launieg »

Great to hear you have it sorted out Nick. Ain't it satisfying to have fixed it! And the solution is always in the last one you try- funny thing that :roll:
Launie
'81 Spider Rolling Restoration