Tachometer and Radio

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Bill Pottle

Tachometer and Radio

Post by Bill Pottle »

Hey,

My 82 Spider's tach and radio aren't getting power and I checked the fuse location A and replaced the fuse and still no go. Before I tear it apart does anyone have a suggestion what to do first?

Thanks in advance.
Bill
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

Did they both stop working at same time? If so I would be suspect of the ground pod connections. It is located to the right of the steering column below dash. The tach is powered from fuse A but the radio was probably installed by a previous owner and could be on any fuse. I would look for radio power on fuse I that is where a power antenna sould be connected.
Bill Pottle

Post by Bill Pottle »

Thanks... I removed the radio and noticed that they powered it by the cigarette lighter which is not working now either. Since the fuses are fine I think the ground you mentioned must be the missing link. I noticed that the tach is out but the oil and generator light works. They must get their power from another location. So far the only things not working are the tach needle lighter and radio. They must have something in common and I bet the ground is bad like you suspect. I'll check it out.

Thanks again...
Bill
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

Are you sure all the fuses are good to go for the cig lighter?

my recollection is that the cig lighter has its own in-line fuse, the old style glass barrel fuse in a separate fuse holder (twist apart style).

Not to say that the grounds aren't bad. Ground wires on Fiats seem to be the #1, #2, #3, and #4 reason for eletrical troubles. And I once read they were attributed to the #5 reason as well.
Bill Pottle

Post by Bill Pottle »

Hey Mike,

You don't think it's possible they wired the tach to the cigarette lighted do you? I was wondering why there were so many wired plugged into the cig lighter! You're right the lighter is powered by an inline fuse which would be the problem, or likely since all 3 went out at the smae time. I'll trace for the inline fuse and see if a wire goes in the direction of the tach. Now that's weird!

Thanks for the idea.
Bill
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

they should NOT (lighter and tach) be wired together. However, here at work I do not have the documentation to back up that statement, I just do not recall any common wiring other than ground pods. I have had my lighter quit working by itself. That is how I know it has its own fuse.

The '78 has seen a PO attach several items to the lighter's easily accessible power wire. That is not an uncommon event for many Spiders. The lighter is the MOST common place for an add-on radio to be attached.

My available diagram shows that the lighter shares the same grounding pod as the washer/wiper switch. Sorry, it does not show what else is on that same ground pod. I would trace that ground strap back to see what else is on that pod and clean that pod.
Bill Pottle

Post by Bill Pottle »

Mike,

Thanks... I found one grounding pod and removed an wiggled wires connected to it, no change... maybe I had the wrong pod will check more. As for the tach wired to the lighter/radio... I don't think it is. I just noticed that the tach, radio and lighter went down all at the same time. Luckily the wiring is in great shape not a mess so I'm puzzled why I'm having such a hard time finding the problem. Literally everything else works perfect from dash to trunk light. I really miss the tach! Do you think the tach is dead? Do you know where the other ground pod is? I found the one you mentioned to the right of the steering column. Darn dash is so tiny is a bugger to get to. Thanks for the tips ... I'll keep tracing..

Bill