New Wiring Diagrams Now Available - 1977 & 1969-73

Gotta love that wiring . . .
bradartigue
Your car is a: 1970 Sport Spider

New Wiring Diagrams Now Available - 1977 & 1969-73

Post by bradartigue »

I have posted the 1977 Wiring Diagrams to my website. This is a brand new diagram booklet.

I revised the 1969-73 Wiring Diagrams to the new style that I am using (putting the components on each page). The 77 also shares this format.

http://www.artigue.com/fiat

In January the site will begin redirecting to

http://fiat.artigue.com

Thanks again to everyone who keeps these cars on the road, they are worth it!

Brad
mbouse

Re: New Wiring Diagrams Now Available - 1977 & 1969-73

Post by mbouse »

even though I do not own those particular model years (yet), i thank you for your efforts.

i refer many a new Fiat friend to your website for technical assistance, and appreciate your efforts in helping us keep these beautiful cars on the road...where they belong.
4babycar

Post by 4babycar »

Like Mike, I don't have a need for those model years yet but, I just had to say that those diagrams are a work of art and go well beyond typical diagrams. I think I can speak with others out there in saying a collective THANK YOU for all of your work, it does not go unappreciated.
bradartigue

Post by bradartigue »

Hell guys I already did the diagrams for your Spiders, maybe I'm misunderstanding but you are aware that I have coverage now for -

69 - 73
79-80 carb
80-82 FI
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

yes, you are misunderstanding! We have used your diagrams for our cars, and love them. We like them so much that we refer others to your website so they can enjoy them as well.

We are complimenting you and thanking you for all of your diligent, hard work!!

hip-hip-hooray!! thanks again, Brad. :mrgreen:
pressonregardless
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1974 Spider

Post by pressonregardless »

First I want to thank you for your efforts and investment of your time, as your website attracted me to invest and begin the journey of restoring our 1974 Spider (1756cc). Denise and Kevin P. have been extremely helpful in this project that I see is now a journey. I just have to ask why, there seems to be so little information out there on the '74s? 1975's are almost as rare, I see books on 1968 -73, 77 - 80 and such, but the, I believe CS1's '74 % '75 go empty. I have heard and read the recall about rust and how many were bought back and crushed; I also have a dear friend here in California who worked as a mechanic in LA in the early to mid '70's for a Fiat garage that was "in" on the ship board fire that caused many, many 124 Spiders to be pushed overboard, only to be plucked out of the sea and he had to install new interiors when they arrived from Italy. Just thought this community would enjoy that story. So who's got the word on the 1974's?

Best to all, Charlie :D
1974 Spider, 1756cc, points & Carb, 118K California miles
bradartigue

Post by bradartigue »

I really don't know; never heard that story - interesting to say the least. FIATs in the Pacific ocean, surprised they didn't rust immediately!

74 is also odd in documentation, the wiring diagrams I have for it are completely different that other years. Maybe because it was the first year of the 1756 (as I recall, 73 had the 1592)? I know it was the only year for the DMS and pre-smog 1756 setup, a true transitional.
tonyfromjersey

Post by tonyfromjersey »

Many thanks. I have been using extrapolated data from other years' diagrams and the Haynes manual. One of my winter projects when I get my car back from crazy body shop guy is to unscrew some electrical issues and install a stereo and some speakers. The PO did some hack work on the electrical system to get power to the stereo before, among all the other hack jobs he did. Of course, that's why the car was $1200.
normanmanske
Your car is a: 1973 spider with a 1800 swap desmoged

Post by normanmanske »

thanks you dont know how much this has helped me I'm a newbie just got my first fiat spider yesterday around noon paid 400 for it and it all ready had a lot done to it electronic ignition and a Kand N air filter and its has 205/50R15s on it with aluminum wheels which look good on the car but the wires on the ignition setup was hooked up backwards from what i can tell but hey its a start knowing where all the wires go
pope

Post by pope »

Charlie,
Do you really think cars dumped in the ocean could be washed off and reused. Sounds like an urban legend. The salt water would get into the engine, trans, and differential, not to mention every lenscover, relay, steering column,...everything. How do you throw them overboard and get them to land on their wheels? I would think that the container ship would have insurance for just that reason. My dad has friends that claim they fought in the war, but never did, Im just saying. I cant guarantee that it didnt happen, just doubt that it did.
Did anyone buy a new Spider and find seashells in the trunk!

I am sure that if one of the Spiders had caught fire, it would have been one of the early 70's models, because the 80's models never give us any trouble.
Brad...thanks for continuing the electrical guides. Job well done and appreciated!
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

rather than believe that Spiders were floating around the ocean, I'd think that unsealed containers on a ship were subject to seawater during high seas. The cost of recovering a Spider from the ocean floor would be prohibitive
Bee
Your car is a: 1974 124 Spider

Post by Bee »

bradartigue wrote: 74 is also odd in documentation, the wiring diagrams I have for it are completely different that other years. Maybe because it was the first year of the 1756 (as I recall, 73 had the 1592)? I know it was the only year for the DMS and pre-smog 1756 setup, a true transitional.
So, you DO have a wiring diagram for a 1974 then? I've been trying to work off of one of your other diagrams for a different year, and it's just not working out well.

If you could please post a diagram for a 74 124 Spider, it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, if you could please let me know where to find one, it would also be a huge help.

Thanks!
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

I worked for Peugeot in the late '70s and we had a bunch of cars that showed up with SOMETHING in most of the fluids. We drained and refilled everything. I don't recall the cars themselves seeming like they got wet, but something got to em.

Also had some Chevy Luvs Diesels that we got a deal on, they had been sitting on the dock somewhere for 5years. No miles, brand new, same thing, some of the fluids contanminated, fuel tanks full of gunk.
pressonregardless
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1974 Spider

Post by pressonregardless »

Ok, here goes. I appreciate the comments about sea shells in the trunk and all. So i contacted my friend who worked on Fiats in the LA area in the late 1970's and got the real story. He worked for the Van Nuys Fiat dealership and another onve near Burbank. It was mostly Brava's that were pushed overboard at the Long Beach docks when the ship they were on caught on fire. They were fished out of the water by the dock cranes and taken to the dealership to wait for new interiors to arrive from Italy. We laughed about the customers who would over rev the engines and float a valve and bend it. Then complain it needed a short block change. He told stories about how FIAT's were the " it " cars to have in the LA area. He also noted that most Fiat owners were always on top of their required maintenance. The 6000 and 12000 mile intervals were always met. Interesting to hear at one time, these little Fiat's and Lancia's were the cooooool cars to have in the LA scene. Hope that clears the air.
1974 Spider, 1756cc, points & Carb, 118K California miles
2ndwind
Your car is a: 1982 Spider

Post by 2ndwind »

Interesting story. I too had to wonder about its validity due to customs and the following story. However, there may have been other circumstances involved.

Back in 1988 I befriended a country used car dealer, Russell, in Wyoming Delaware. One day he asked me to help him, his two friends, and sons to get some FIATs running and take them over to the port of Baltimore, MD for transport to South America, Brazil, I believe. The story was, the friend (whom I met) was a wealthy guy from FL who bought a little over a hundred FIATs when they got flooded at the port in FL or Baltimore (I can't remember which) five or six years before. The US gov't would not allow the cars to be titled in the U.S. so he sold off all the Spiders and most of the Bravas and Stradas to Europe and elsewhere. The last unsold 22 cars had been sitting at a local impound lot (friend of theirs) and 4 others in the bushes on a local farm. We had about 2 weeks to get them running and over to Baltimore. One of Russell's good friends was a crackerjack mechanic and got all but one of the cars running and had to get many of the brakes unstuck. Some had some minor rust starting to appear around the back windows etc, The interiors were perfect. We put them on 2 rollbacks, 4 into a tractor trailer, and drove a bunch of them over to Balto. in 2 or 3 trips. They were fun to drive.
Steve
1982 Red Spider 2000
1919 Old Town Sailing Canoe