Rewiring Kits

Gotta love that wiring . . .
whalford

Rewiring Kits

Post by whalford »

After "fixing" my car yesterday, I drove it to lunch today. It is still at the restaurant. I am not.

There is an inline fuse under the dash that burnt out before, causing my complete lack of electrical in the dash, and preventing it from starting. The same thing just happened - the 10 amp fuse burnt out. I was smart enough to have extras, so I swapped it. I now get electrical on the dash, but the engine is a no go.

My first question is whether anyone has a suggestion for the first place to start hunting.

Beyond that, I was wondering if anyone has experience with either of the Painless Wiring kits, or the "Keep It Clean" wiring kits. I think my winter project may be to rewire the car. Or, my late summer project, if this continues.

Thanks again,
-Bill
pope

Re: Rewiring Kits

Post by pope »

We can not help you if we dont know what year your Spider is.
whalford

Post by whalford »

So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

a 10amp fuse to power the car is not high enough amperage. Is this inline fuse something that's been added on?
whalford

Post by whalford »

So Cal Mark wrote:Is this inline fuse something that's been added on?
To be honest, I have no idea. I have not had the car very long, and I am trying to figure these things out.

How many inline fuses are there supposed to be under the dash of a 79? I have at least three - two in red sheaths, one in blue. One red fuse is 8 amp, the red one I keep blowing is 10, and I am unsure of the blue one. I know the cigarette lighter uses one, but don't know beyond that.

-Bill
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

I don't remember 3 inline fuses in a 79. Hook up a circuit breaker in place of the fuse and figure out what causes it to blow. You'll need a wiring diagram for your car anyway even if you decide to rewire it
whalford

Post by whalford »

Will do, thanks. I went back ad the car actually started this time so I managed to get it home.

Gotta love chasing down intermittent electrical issues. Going to trace the lines this weekend. I'll let you know what they are connected to.
pope

Post by pope »

I think the 10 amp is for the horn, should be purple wire, and an 8 amp is for the cigar lighter which is a red wire. There should be another 8 amp that works switches on the dash like the heater fan.
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

I've recently installed a Painless kit in my '73, and am in the process of writing an article describing the procedure. It was not too difficult; took two weeks. Most of the time was "translating" Fiat to Painless.

I brought along my notes on vacation here in Aruba. Its our annual EstrogenFest, and this will give me something to do.
whalford

Post by whalford »

I look forward to reading your write up. Which kit did you use? How many circuits did you go with?

-Bill
racydave

Post by racydave »

Im also curious because when I did mine, I took a diff aproach. I could see replacing the fuse box, and suppling an additional power source, this way you could still use the original harness.
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020

Post by baltobernie »

Hi Bill,

It was universal street rod, 12-circuit, I think 10102. I'm on vacation this week; don't have info handy.
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020

Post by baltobernie »

racydave

Post by racydave »

I gave it a look, I think you did a fine job!
whalford

Post by whalford »

Argh! I haven't logged on in quite a while and the article isn't currently available on Brads site. Any chance someone has a copy they can email or PM?