Door alignment and *pop* open

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
ThatDudeRalph
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Door alignment and *pop* open

Post by ThatDudeRalph »

Hey just wondering if it's normal to have to pull on doors when opening, or did the doors originally pop open when you pulled the latch? I know mine are sagging a bit but I'm not sure if I'm expecting something that never occurred.

You know what I mean like I want to pull the latch and the door pops a few inches open? Is that possible with the existing mechanism?

Thanks
wizard124
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider FI

Re: Door alignment and *pop* open

Post by wizard124 »

My doors pop open. I've never messed with the hinges nor alignment.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I can't speak for the newer style of the Spider 2000, but I've seen it both ways on my earlier spiders. Some doors pop open a bit when you lift the handle inside. From the outside, pushing on the button just keeps the door closed until you also pull the handle. But, some of my spiders have required a tug, or a modest push with my shoulder when inside.

Check the triangle shaped rubber wedge on the door jamb, and the corresponding chrome "receptacle" in the car body. Those often stick, and there is some alignment possible on the rubber part.

-Bryan
ThatDudeRalph
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Post by ThatDudeRalph »

wizard124 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 3:27 pm My doors pop open. I've never messed with the hinges nor alignment.
Thanks! Mine must be out of wack enough to be rubbing, now at least I know it's possible.