screen wiper

General chat about the car goes in here.
Baz
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat Spider

screen wiper

Post by Baz »

I have function with the intermittent setting ( 1st position) but no function in the continual wipe position (all the way down)
Is there a fuse for that position ?
any help appreciated,
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: screen wiper

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Fuse 2 ("B") is the only fuse for the wiper circuit. If the intermittent wipers work but continuous mode does not, my guess is that something is wrong with the stalk switch on the steering column. Power for continuous mode is a grey wire transitioning to a grey/black wire at the connector, and you can remove the upper and lower clamshell covers on the steering column and see if that grey wire is connected. The stalk switch itself can also go bad, which means either a replacement or taking it apart and rebuilding it. Or wiring a separate switch to power that grey/black wire.

I'd also check your wiper speed 2-position switch up in the middle dash by the warning lights, but since the intermittent wipers work, I'm thinking that switch is likely OK.

-Bryan
Baz
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat Spider

Re: screen wiper

Post by Baz »

very helpful Bryan...thank you. My spider has been converted to RHD, and as the fuse box melted a few years back, put in a new more modern unit. I know you have probably thrown your hands up in horror, but I am determined to fix it, although at 75 I struggle to assume the body positions once used to access the under dash stuff.