Max Coil Spring Compression

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
CharlieB
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat Spider

Max Coil Spring Compression

Post by CharlieB »

Hi guys,
I'm replacing the front control arm bushings, shock and ball joints on my '76. I used an internal compression tool to remove the springs without much drama. Now I'm trying to reinstall the same springs. I'm having trouble getting the driver's side to fit. I keep compressing the spring in small intervals but I don't know if there is a maximum safe amount of compression before all hell breaks loose.
Does anyone have a measurement of an adequately compressed spring. It may be that I'm just chicken, but I've heard too many horror stories. Any advice is appreciated.
Charlie
1976 Fiat 124 Spider
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Max Coil Spring Compression

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Hi Charlie,
You are wise to be careful as compressed springs can be deadly dangerous. But, to reinstall, I use a couple spring clamps at the right locations on the spring (usually towards the center of the car), lower the A-arm all the way, put the spring in place, then slowly put weight on the spring as I loosen the spring clamps. I'm not describing it very well, but it does work. Use caution.

-Bryan
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Well hi Bryan, long time no chat.
I assume you mean C-clamps? I've tried that approach but the problem I'm having is compressing the spring far enough to be able to fit it back on the car.
I need to crank down on it more with my compression tool I guess. I'm just worried that an old spring may not be able to withstand the pressure. The last thing I need is a broken spring bouncing around the garage.
I'm starting to think that my concerns over the integrity of the spring are ridiculous and I just need to compress more.
Thanks
Charlie
1976 Fiat 124 Spider
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

CharlieB wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:12 am Well hi Bryan, long time no chat.
I assume you mean C-clamps?
Hi Charlie, yes, it's been a while. How are things?

You can't use a normal C-clamp like you would for woodworking. The type of clamp I was suggesting is:
https://autoricambi.us/spring-compressor/

I use two of these at different locations around the spring. Sometimes I can get it to work with just one. There isn't much room in there so you have to be creative about getting the compressor installed and tightened. You almost certainly have to remove the shock absorber first.

Don't worry about breaking the spring. You can compress them all the way so that the coils are locked up, and there is no harm. However, they store a lot of energy in that configuration so be careful.

-Bryan
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Thanks Bryan,
Ok, that puts my mind at ease. The compressor tool I have works great. 2 hooks on top and bottom type. I do however, like the way the AR tool works. I can set mine of similar to that. I have not installed the shocks yet, I'll do that after the spring of course.
Thanks again
Charlie
1976 Fiat 124 Spider