Clutch Pedal Resistance

General chat about the car goes in here.
Fiat124Spider75
Your car is a: 1975spider

Clutch Pedal Resistance

Post by Fiat124Spider75 »

Hi All
I’m a new member and this is my first post/request for help.
I have a 1975 124 and the clutch pedal is giving me a workout. I have driven many manual cars and have never experienced this. It almost feels like the resistance against the pedal is going to break the cable.
I disconnected the clutch cable from both the pedal fork and the clutch fork to test if the cable slides smoothly through the cable housing and it does. So now I am wondering if the clutch plate springs are somehow malfunctioning. Or are these just really hard clutches to push and I am an old fart that needs to strengthen my left foot?
Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Mike
FredWinterburn
Your car is a: 1971 Spider

Re: Clutch Pedal Resistance

Post by FredWinterburn »

Mike, I am no expert. My wife just bought a 1971 Spider from her brother and I drove it a short distance 10 years ago. I do not remember the clutch being stiff then, but it probably was. I've been doing work on brakes and wheel hubs so actually haven't driven it yet except for that first time a decade ago. I do know that the clutch cable snapped and he changed it about 5 years ago so it is pretty much a new cable in there. I went out to the car and tried the clutch after reading your post and it is indeed a heavy clutch, almost as bad as an old Dodge truck. I'll have to look sometime and see if there is a way to increase the mechanical advantage without reducing the stroke on the cable too much. What you have is probably normal, but maybe someone else will comment. Fred
FredWinterburn
Your car is a: 1971 Spider

Re: Clutch Pedal Resistance

Post by FredWinterburn »

I see this is a repeat thread. Lots of answers on the other one!