Ignition Wiring?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
kirkpatrick29
Your car is a: 1974 Spider 124

Ignition Wiring?

Post by kirkpatrick29 »

This is my first Fiat.

My 1974 was running fine. I stopped at the gas station, and when I went to turn it back on it was dead. The starter didn't engage, no noise. I returned the ignition to the "off" position and it turned over a few times. I pulled the choke, thumped the throttle knob, and after a few cycles it turned over and started. I drove for about 20 mins and it started to feel like it was running rich. Low power, backfiring on the downshift and deceleration. I was able to make it home and as I was pulling into the driveway, the car died entirely. I tried to turn the ignition and same deal as at the gas station--the starter didn't engage, no noise. When I jostled the wires around the ignition, the radio would turn on. I'd try to turn the car over with the key, the radio goes out. I wiggle some wires, radio goes back on, I try to turn it over and the radio goes off. This happens over and over. Finally I pushed it down the hill of my driveway and the car roll started just fine and idled well. I'm assuming it's the wiring. Any insights would be really appreciated.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: Ignition Wiring?

Post by spider2081 »

There are a number of things that could contribute to the intermittent electrical power symptoms. I would try and tighten the female connectors on the ignition switch wires. I think the connectors have a black sleeve that can be slid back exposing the connector. Gently squeeze the connector with a pair of pliers. It should take some force to pull the wire off the ignition switch terminal.
There is also a 3 cavity connector located under the hood on the driver side fender well. This connector has a brown wire and a red wire in it. Some cars also have a black wire in one cavity. This connector is exposed to the environment and becomes intermittent. The brown and black wires bring battery power to the ignition switch and the red wire brings power from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid to start the car.
Hope this helps a little
kirkpatrick29

Post by kirkpatrick29 »

Thanks so much. It turns out that it's the battery. The previous owner said it's new. It looks new, and I have no reason not to believe him. In any event, the battery is either being drained because of an alternator/electrical issue or maybe my wife left the running lights on when she last drove it. I drove it around the block a few times. Ran well the first 5 minutes and then started to bog down and backfire. Maybe I fouled the plugs trying to start it and giving it throttle. I haven't pulled them yet.

There is definitely an existing electrical issue; the fuse that connects to the directionals, brake lights, and dash gauges (everything but the speedometer) blows any time the brake is pushed. I've yet to troubleshoot it.

Probably going to take it to the mechanic. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

blows any time the brake is pushed
It's not too uncommon for the brake peddle switch wires to be pinched by the brake peddle when the peddle is depressed.
kirkpatrick29

Post by kirkpatrick29 »

Thanks. I'll give it a look.