Replacing heater core

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
bobby5555
Your car is a: 1981 spider 2000

Replacing heater core

Post by bobby5555 »

Well when I tried replacing the heater control valve I managed to brake off one of the studs on the heater core. So I order a new aluminum heater core ,said good for 72 to 85 spider ,looked really nice. I started installing the new core but no way was it fitting. Looking at old and new cores ,the pipe and valve bolt to the core in slightly different spots. After installing the new core and trying to get the lower half of the heater box to fit up so I could get the clips on was driving me crazy. No way could I get it to mate up. I thought of cutting pieces out off the box so the core would fit higher but that was not a good thought. I removed the lower box again and removed the fan shroud casing and was finally able to get it to fit well enough the get the clips on (had to cut a sliver off the box for one nut on the valve to clear).
Hopefully it will still blow enough air without the fan shroud to be effective.
Any other experiences installing this new heater core?

Thanks Bob
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Replacing heater core

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

bobby5555 wrote:Any other experiences installing this new heater core?
Not like yours, but I've always used the original-style (brass) heater cores. Sounds like your new aluminum one just wasn't quite made properly although it seems like you got it to fit.

Some of the aftermarket stuff looks good but just doesn't quite work right for whatever reason.

-Bryan
bobby5555
Your car is a: 1981 spider 2000

Post by bobby5555 »

Without the fan shroud case its not blowing much air but o well didn't use it much anyway. On the new aluminum core, the outlet for the control valve is lower, causing the obstruction, after thinking more about it I think I could of cut a piece out of the fan shroud case to get around it but its all put back together and I'm sure not going to rip it apart again. Thanks
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

If you don't mind my asking: Where did you get the aluminum heater core? I'm not trying to "out" a particular vendor, but it would be good to know if there is an issue with certain aluminum heater cores.

-Bryan