Any help? Bolt under seat brackets welded

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
Emersonfiat1977
Patron 2023
Patron 2023
Your car is a: 1977 fiat 124

Any help? Bolt under seat brackets welded

Post by Emersonfiat1977 »

Bolt ripped out for the cross member holding up the carrier bearing for the drive shaft.

Seems like bolts are under the seat brackets.

Is that true?

Is so any ideas how to get to it?

Or if some has replace differently please let me know how.

Thank you for all the help
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Any help? Bolt under seat brackets welded

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

The two "bolts" on either side of the driveshaft tunnel for the carrier bearing bracket are actually studs, welded to the floor pan. It's possible that someone replaced the studs with bolts at some point.

The ideal fix is to remove what is left of the studs and then weld in new ones. Lacking that, you could drill a hole in the appropriate location and then install a bolt through the top, secured with a thin nut on the underside of the floor pan. I don't exactly remember where the stud is located relative to the seat, but my recollection is that it is very near the two raised supports that support the seat rails.

I think you'll just have to remove the seat, see what you have, and then decide whether to weld in new studs or see if there is a way to get a bolt/nut through the floor pan. If the studs sheared off because of rust, it's likely that the floor pan is rusted as well in which case you'd need a more extensive fix.

-Bryan
stpher
Your car is a: 1982 F I spider

Post by stpher »

You could grind the old stud flush, drill a hole and install a rivnut. Screw a stud into that A rivnut will be strong enough to hold the center bearing support

Thanks, Rick
Emersonfiat1977
Patron 2023
Patron 2023
Your car is a: 1977 fiat 124

Post by Emersonfiat1977 »

Thank you guys