Emergency brake emergency

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
Pr124spider
Your car is a: 1975 spider

Emergency brake emergency

Post by Pr124spider »

My emergency brake works OK — but could provide a better and more secure hold. Example: if parked on a good incline and holding with my hand, let’s car slide back slowly when I expect it to stay in place.

Can anything simple and inexpensive be done to improve its function or should I plan to make a donation to the bank of fiat?
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Emergency brake emergency

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Pr124spider wrote:Can anything simple and inexpensive be done to improve its function or should I plan to make a donation to the bank of fiat?
For reasons that escape me, the emergency brake on the Fiat spiders never was very good, even under the best of circumstances. A few things that make a difference:

1) Make sure the cable is adjusted properly. If you raise up both rear wheels off the ground, they should spin freely when the parking brake is fully released (transmission in neutral). When you pull up on the lever 2 clicks, the wheels should start to feel resistance to turning. 4 or 5 clicks should be all that you can pull up on the lever. 6 max. Adjust the nut(s) on the threaded "pull rod" in the center to adjust. One is just a locknut.

2) Make sure both sides are grabbing equally. When you do Test #1 above, the wheels should start to grab at the same time. If one wheel is locked up but the other is still free, you need to adjust the "balance" between the two, which involves moving the cable in the U-shaped holder in the center.

3) Make sure your cable isn't bad (lack of lubrication/binding/seized) and providing most of the resistance in the lever.

4) Some rear brake pads work other than others in terms of grip. Racing pads (ceramic or semi-metallic) don't work as well as they only start to grip when the pads get really hot, which doesn't happen with the parking brake.

5) If all the above appear to be OK, then the issue is likely that the automatic internal adjustment inside the rear calipers is frozen or otherwise out of whack. This is where serious coin can come into play, i.e., Bank of Fiat.

One trick that I use is to sit in the car (engine off) and pump the brakes repeatedly while simultaneously pulling up on the handbrake lever and releasing. Do this many, many times. Like 200 or so. Do it until you curse this "18Fiatsandcounting", his goofy dog, and all his kinfolk. Then do it some more. Sometimes this gets the automatic adjustment in the caliper working better. Sometimes.

-Bryan
Pr124spider

Post by Pr124spider »

Bryan this is great! Thank you very much. Do you ever travel to sort out cars? San Diego is very nice this time of year…
ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Post by ORFORD2004 »

That's why i put Fiat 500 rear calipers on mine. My friend made the bracket and i bought the calipers, cables and hose from Kenny-u-pull.
Pr124spider

Post by Pr124spider »

Thanks for the suggestion.