Alignment question — dumb variety

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
Pr124spider
Your car is a: 1975 spider

Alignment question — dumb variety

Post by Pr124spider »

My 75 spider pulls right at freeway speed (gently, like Kate Upton accidentally brushing against my shoulder) so want to get it aligned. Wheel doesn’t vibrate excessively but wondering if I should have wheels balanced first?

My technician says he can do the alignment there (where my car lives most of the time) but haven’t gotten a quote yet for fear of fainting then falling. The place where I’ve taken other cars (BMW z4, Honda) and they did a fine job, says they can do it for between 150-250 (depending on if it needs shims).

I want to go where they’ll do the best job and will pay more. But is it necessary (to pay more)? Worth it?

And finally, anything I should specify and/or pitfalls to be aware of? Thank you.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Alignment question — dumb variety

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Gee, if Kate Upton were accidentally brushing against my shoulder, I think I would leave things just as they are...! :D

Let's start with the issue, which is that the car pulls to the right at freeway speeds. Potential causes with the most likely being at the top:

- Front end needs to be aligned (I'm assuming there's no front end damage from an accident)
- Front tires are not the same (different size, different air pressures, different age or tread wear)
- Right front brake caliper is sticking slightly. The center of the right wheel will feel hot after driving if that's the case.
- Excessive crown in the road (I'm sure you would have noticed this)

#2 and #3 are easy to check.

As for an alignment, I do them myself because finding a shop that understands these old cars can be tricky. Just like finding someone to work on your Weber DFEV carb. Alignment shops do exist that understand "old school" cars, and a couple things to watch out for:

- Make sure the alignment tech is working for the specs for a 1975 spider. I've seen some shops use the specs for a 124 sport coupe or a 131 sedan, which isn't the same.
- Technically, the alignment should be set with the car laden, which Fiat defined as 2 passengers plus 50 kg of luggage. Most shops ignore this, and while it doesn't make or break the alignment, it's best to do it right.

As for cost? $150 sounds like they just put the car up on the rack and check the alignment, and if it's not terribly wrong, they send you on your merry way. $250 sounds like they actually do an alignment change. Shims are 5 cent items, but it's the labor to put them in.

-Bryan
Pr124spider

Post by Pr124spider »

Bryan, you are 100% right on the Kate Upton issue. Oh, and I’m sure the alignment tips too. Thank you very much. What do you think about getting the wheels balanced first?
18Fiatsandcounting

Wheel balancing? Normally, when you buy tires, the wheels are balanced as part of the work of installing new tires on your wheels. They can get out of balance if you really whacked the wheels on a pothole or a curb, or if you lost one or more wheel weights (those little metal blobs that they clamp onto your rim when balancing).

Wheels out of balance would normally result in a vibration, or a shimmy-ing of the front wheels if they are really out of whack. Pulling to one side when driving is not likely a wheel balance issue, but rather an alignment issue as noted above.

If a shop is telling you to have the wheels balanced when you tell them that the car is pulling to one side, find another shop. They are lying to you, the low-down varmints. Durn their hides.

-Bryan
Pr124spider

Post by Pr124spider »

Thanks Bryan. Yeah no wheel vibration out of the normal (I think). Was asking about the wheel balance (in part) because everything on the car is Christopher Columbus, discovery. Since I don’t know what the steering feels like WITH balanced wheels, or what’s happened to the wheels/tires before I bought the car (gulping with regret), I’m trying to get baselines on everything too. So, sounds like the sequence (balance wheels first then align) isn’t necessary but I’ll probably do it that way.
18Fiatsandcounting

Pr124spider wrote:So, sounds like the sequence (balance wheels first then align) isn’t necessary but I’ll probably do it that way.
There's certainly no harm in doing both. Except to your wallet.

-Bryan
Pr124spider

Post by Pr124spider »

My wallet has already endured more pain than all the offensive lineman on the Chiefs combined…
18Fiatsandcounting

Pr124spider wrote:My wallet has already endured more pain than all the offensive lineman on the Chiefs combined…
Just wait until the 'Niners get a chance to pound on them some more, in a couple weeks. 8)

-Bryan
uncahoo
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by uncahoo »

When my 1974 Fiat started pulling to one side, it was because the caliper's piston was sticking, not retracting. Then it would straighten out and be fine. Then stick again when applying the brakes and then pull the other direction. I had a shop rebuild the brakes, big bucks, and it was OK for a few years. Then it happened again and I fixed it myself this time, because now I'm retired and have the time and fewer bucks. This summer it started showing the same symptoms and I may have to do it again; we'll see. As 18Fiats says, there could be a number of reasons for pulling to one side, although I would say it's not tire balance. BTW, around here balancing is not part of getting new tires but an extra charge; many people skip it until there are obvious shaking symptoms.
Pr124spider

Post by Pr124spider »

Thanks very much for the tips guys. And Bryan, with you on the 9ers. Would like to see them beat those chiefs.
18Fiatsandcounting

Pr124spider wrote:And Bryan, with you on the 9ers. Would like to see them beat those chiefs.
My wife is the one that follows sports, so I just hear the stories second-hand. That being said, my betting money would be on the Chiefs, as much as I hate to admit it. My wife would have a fit, but the 'Niners have been hit or miss, and the Chiefs have been more consistent. We shall see in a little over a week.

As for coming down to San Diego? Sure, I'd love a chance, but you'd have to pay for my airfare and lodging and a reasonable per diem. :D

-Bryan
Pr124spider

Post by Pr124spider »

Good points on the teams. I don’t have a fiat in the race but definitely pulling 9ers. Are you in no cal? Might consider the travel expenses and the per diem to have you sort my car one day. Once I get enough tasks accumulated (that the techs here cannot fix properly) might be worth my while.
18Fiatsandcounting

If you're willing, send me your phone number via private message, and we'll go from there. Sometimes talking back and forth in real time helps solve things more quickly. It's worked in the past between me and a number of folks on this forum.

-Bryan
Pr124spider

Post by Pr124spider »

Just tried the pm thing. Did it go through?
Mheinle
Your car is a: 1980 spider

Post by Mheinle »

18fiats has saved my bacon a time or two….