Dismantling the soft top frame

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
akershaw
Your car is a: 1977 Spider CS1

Dismantling the soft top frame

Post by akershaw »

Hi, I'd like to reduce the soft top frame to its component parts so that it can more effectively be stripped and painted, and I can ensure that they move smoothly with fresh shims. However, the bolts are a pain to get off. On each bolt, the bit that protrudes on the other side of where you screw it in appears to have been flattened and fixed in place. There's no way that a flat bladed screw driver will remove them. I've used mole grips to remove one bolt successfully (although the bolt head is now a bit mangled), and broken off another one. Is there an effective way to get them all out? Youtube has a video of someone trying to use a blow torch before twisting them, but giving up. Or can I get a reasonable result from wire brushing and painting? Thanks in advance.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Dismantling the soft top frame

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Fiat didn't design the top frame to come apart. I tried to remove a bolt once and found that the only way to do it is to destroy the bolt and then find another. So, I've always just cleaned up the frame as best I could, while it was still in one piece. Not as satisfying, but I never had the courage to take one apart. Once it's covered with the top and its associated flaps, you don't see much of the frame anyway. The various hinge points can be lubricated.

If your bows are bent or damaged, then you might have to drill out the bolts and get new ones. Some of the usual Fiat vendors sell replacement bolts but they're not cheap. Then use Loctite on the new bolts.

-Bryan
akershaw
Your car is a: 1977 Spider CS1

Post by akershaw »

Thanks Bryan. I’ll take your advice and benefit from your experience here!
DustyDave
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by DustyDave »

Thanks for the info. I have been planning to do the same to my top frame and was going to dismantle it as well. But now that I know of this difficulty, I’ll try to get it painted while it’s still assembled. Thanks for saving me some trouble. David