Transmission pops out of second gear

General chat about the car goes in here.
1idman
Your car is a: 1974 and 1977 fiat 124 spider

Transmission pops out of second gear

Post by 1idman »

I just picked up a 77 and notice that the transmission pops out of 2nd gear on deceleration, also notice the clutch bearing is a little noisy. Anyone else have this issue, and what was the solution.

Regards
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Transmission pops out of second gear

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

The cause for the 2nd gear issue is one of two things, although they're kinda related: 1) the transmission isn't engaging 2nd gear fully as it should, and 2) part wear in general (shift collar, sliding forks, shift lever ball joint and its socket, etc). One quick test (engine off) of the shift lever ball joint in its socket is to just move the shift lever casually front and back and side to side. Without moving into neutral or engaging a gear. There should be some play, but the lever shouldn't feel totally sloppy and loose.

The solution is usually a rebuild of the transmission, but before you do that, check to make sure that there is nothing binding in the shifter boot assembly. The shift boot itself, the rubber boot beneath it, a center console panel that is askew, etc. In fact, you could remove all this and see if the problem goes away. If it does, that was the issue.

As for the clutch throwout bearing? Is it noisy all the time, when in idle, when the clutch pedal is depressed, all of the above, or ?

-Bryan
1idman

Post by 1idman »

Hey Bryan
Thanks for the info, I will check in the spring for binding. With regards to the clutch throw out bearing, it's a little noisy when in neutral and foot off the clutch. I thought maybe the two issues might be related.

Regards

Nino
18Fiatsandcounting

1idman wrote:With regards to the clutch throw out bearing, it's a little noisy when in neutral and foot off the clutch.
Nino, I can't say for sure without hearing it, but almost every Fiat transmission has a kind of "rumble" or "whirring" when in neutral with the clutch out. I've never traced it down exactly, but I believe it's play in the transmission input shaft bearing. If that's what you've got, somewhat "normal" and nothing to worry about unless extreme. A different kind of transmission oil might quiet things down. Or not.

-Bryan
1idman

Post by 1idman »

Hey Bryan
I was planning on using Redline 75w90NS thats what I use in my Alfa spider
bobplyler
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1979 spider 2000

Post by bobplyler »

That Redline oil looks like a GL-5. GL-5 has been known to cause problems with synchronizers. The recommended oil is GL-1.
1979 Fiat Spider (since new)
2005 Lincoln LS (the wife's car)
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier (daily driver)
1999 Honda Shadow VLX 600
1972 Grumman Traveller 5895L (long gone).
18Fiatsandcounting

I'd also be wary about this Redline GL-5 oil, but the Redline website states, "Safe for use with all synchro materials." Given that it's fully synthetic, maybe they've figured out a way to achieve GL-5 ratings using a different chemistry than earlier oils?

Might be worth a call to the company. See if you can talk to an actual technical person, not a salesperson.

-Bryan
BEEK
Your car is a: 1975 Spider

Post by BEEK »

redline oil, such as even MTL, are much thinner than the fiat GL1 specified oil. I put MTL in my spider box, it leaks, from every small crevice. sucks! just a fyi
Automotive Service Technology Instructor (34 year Fiat mechanic)
75 spider
, 6 Lancia Scorpions, 2018 Abarth Spider, 500X wifes, 500L 3 82 Zagatos. 82 spider 34k original miles, 83 pininfarina, 8 fiat spider parts cars
son has 78 spider
BEEK
Your car is a: 1975 Spider

Post by BEEK »

redline oil, such as even MTL, are much thinner than the fiat GL1 specified oil. I put MTL in my spider box, it leaks, from every small crevice. sucks! just a fyi
Automotive Service Technology Instructor (34 year Fiat mechanic)
75 spider
, 6 Lancia Scorpions, 2018 Abarth Spider, 500X wifes, 500L 3 82 Zagatos. 82 spider 34k original miles, 83 pininfarina, 8 fiat spider parts cars
son has 78 spider