Replacing brake master cylinder

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
55Dave124
Your car is a: 1982spider

Replacing brake master cylinder

Post by 55Dave124 »

Hi all, If I am only replacing my brake master cylinder, do I need to adjust the brake booster “acorn” at all?I would think not but correct me if I am wrong. Thanks much
Mheinle
Your car is a: 1980 spider

Re: Replacing brake master cylinder

Post by Mheinle »

Hey there,
I just did this job and I would say you will need to measure the recess of the MC to check and see how far out the push rod should be adjusted. When I replaced the MC I found that I had to adjust the push rob to be much shorter. If you are not able to bleed your brakes that is a good sign that the rod length needs correcting.
Mheinle
Your car is a: 1980 spider

Re: Replacing brake master cylinder

Post by Mheinle »

So I never said thank you or followed up, but thank you, and you were right the push rod was too long. I adjusted it down and got everything put back together. I still had trouble with the bleeding, or so I thought, so I too it to a shop for a brake fluid flush. Afterward the brakes still operated poorly. They suspect the booster is no good, which I just replaced it. I am wondering if it was faulty from the get go or maybe I damaged it on the install? I was super careful to not hit the pedal side on anything when installing, but the booster being an issue does make sense.