rear brake piston question

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
fiatjack
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider 2000

rear brake piston question

Post by fiatjack »

So....disassembly of the rear calipers is complete. I'm starting with the passenger side and noticed the little channel showing the orientation of the piston is not on the face like in my shop manuals. Anyone experience this before? Do not want to continue anymore if I'm never going to be able to bleed them correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: rear brake piston question

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I believe the correct orientation is with that scribe line facing up when the calipers are on the car (above the protrusion that pushes against the inner brake pad). I've always done it this way, and I've never had any problems bleeding the rear brakes.

-Bryan
fiatjack
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by fiatjack »

Thanks Bryan, unfortunately i dont have a scribe line. I'm not sure how to add a photo here but could email one offline if needed.
18Fiatsandcounting

Hmmm... Some aftermarket pistons/calipers do not have that scribe line. If the piston is removed from the bore, you can see that there is an additional cavity on the inside of the bore. That cavity should face upward, and the scribe line (if it were present) would correspond to the side that the cavity is on. Presumably the cavity is there to allow air bubbles trapped inside the piston to be flushed out during bleeding.

If you look closely at the picture in this link, you can see the scribe line (click on the picture to see an expanded view). Basically, it should face the bleeder nipple.
https://www.midwest-bayless.com/p-19308 ... l-new.aspx

If it were me, I'd screw out the piston and mark on the face of it where the inside cavity points. But, since you have a 50/50 chance of having it right, you could try bleeding the brakes. If it seems OK, I wouldn't worry about it.

By the way, that channel in the piston face should be level with the ground.

-Bryan
davefrancisco
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by davefrancisco »

Does this mean every time the rear brakes are bled that the line on the piston needs to reset? Meaning aligned at the top?

Thanks

Dave
18Fiatsandcounting

The piston in the rear calipers moves in and out, but it shouldn't rotate (It's held in place by a nub on the brake pads). So, once you set the scribe line to the top, it should stay there. The adjustment for the handbrake happens internally inside the rear pistons. You can bleed the rear brakes as often as you please and the piston scribe line should stay put.

Hope that helps clarify...

-Bryan
davefrancisco

Post by davefrancisco »

Thanks Bryan... The answer I was hoping for.

Dave
davefrancisco

Post by davefrancisco »

Dave
davefrancisco

Post by davefrancisco »

Dave