Spider Webbing in 10 yr old repaint

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
FiatJim
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1973 spider refurbished

Spider Webbing in 10 yr old repaint

Post by FiatJim »

I had my 1973 Spider 124 professionally repainted by a shop near Columbus, OH, about 10 years ago. The quality of the work was classified by the shop as 90 out of 100 - a "refurbishment". When fresh, both fenders had serious spider webbing. I was able to get a local shop to repair those.

Now, nearly 10 years later, there a a few spots of new spider webbing. So the question is: Is this common, or to be expected?

Jim
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Spider Webbing in 10 yr old repaint

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

What color? Does the car sit out in the sun most of the time? It's not common, but certain colors (and paint formulations) are more prone to this than others. Still, 10 years seems like a mighty short time for this to be happening.

I'd ask another body shop for their opinion.

-Bryan
FiatJim
Patron 2024
Patron 2024

Post by FiatJim »

Thanks Bryan, I appreciate the information.

The car had been stored outside for the past 2 years, since i moved from Central NY to the Greensboro, NC area.
It was always covered with a multi-later cover.
The color is close to the original: burgundy-brown.

I suspect that any repair will require a complete repair and repaint given the locations of where the cracks are appearing.

Jim
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Dark colors are more prone to crazing, or maybe it's easier to see when it happens. Still, given that you had the car covered while in North Carolina, it sounds like the car got a bad batch of paint or the paint was mixed improperly when it was sprayed. Or the primer wasn't done correctly.

-Bryan
FiatJim
Patron 2024
Patron 2024

Post by FiatJim »

Greetings Brian,

I suspect you are correct. When I had the car "refusrbished" it had taken many months for it to get done. I had hoped to enter the car in a local car show and had been asking the vendor about when it would be done. So I suspect the pain was rushed. I have had to rework much of the interior cosmetic work.

Jim