Hard Shell Boot Cover/Tonneau

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
joelittel
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 FI

Re: Hard Shell Boot Cover/Tonneau

Post by joelittel »

I did see this one and can appreciate how much work went into it.

Whoever made this one did a really nice job, but they took it a little further than the aesthetic I’m going for.
joelittel
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Post by joelittel »

It has been a little over a year since I started this project and I am happy to report that it is still alive and well. After getting to a point where I could secure the piece to the car I wanted to spend some time with it, assessing it and thinking through next steps before making any changes to the design. There are definitely some things I like about the top, but there are also a few things I'll need to change in order to proceed.

To get by during this driving season I quickly covered the top with marine vinyl and called it done. No attention went into creating a nice cover for the piece and no addition shaping has been done to the form.

Things I like:
It fits like a glove and is easy to install.
It dramatically cuts down on wind in the cabin and wind noise in general.
It stays in place with minimal effort.
Easy to install or remove.
Provides extra storage during top down driving, keeping what we bring with us in the car even at highway speeds.

Things I think need to be changed:
It is too big. When not on the car I cannot store it in the car. Just too big. Needs to be self contained with the car at all times.
The one piece design was cool for looks but I think it will need to come apart in order to be stowed on the parcel shelf as intended. I don't want to keep it in the "boot" because that's the one secure place we have to keep anything we want locked up and out of sight while out and about with the car.

Looking forward to the next stage of this build.

RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Post by RRoller123 »

Wow! Really nice!
'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I agree; that is really sweet! Nice work!

-Bryan
joelittel
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Post by joelittel »

Thanks guys. I’m happy with where it is at but am equally excited about taking it to the next level. One thing is for sure, it has to be capable of being stored in the car. Something I forgot to mention in my previous note was how effective it was in the rain. On numerous occasions I got caught in the rain and not being able to store it in the car I had no choice but to drive home with the top down. Surprisingly very little rain actually made it into the cabin as long as I was moving. This is probably a well known effect of convertible vehicles but it was new to me and a pleasant surprise.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

joelittel wrote:Surprisingly very little rain actually made it into the cabin as long as I was moving. This is probably a well known effect of convertible vehicles but it was new to me and a pleasant surprise.
Yes, I've found that the interior will stay fairly dry in light showers as long as I am going over 30 or 40 MPH. However, should those light showers turn into a heavy downpour..... well, that explains some of the rust in my interior! :(

-Bryan
profcucchi
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat 2000

Post by profcucchi »

joelittel wrote:It has been a little over a year since I started this project and I am happy to report that it is still alive and well. After getting to a point where I could secure the piece to the car I wanted to spend some time with it, assessing it and thinking through next steps before making any changes to the design. There are definitely some things I like about the top, but there are also a few things I'll need to change in order to proceed.
That's a great aesthetic for the car. Red, black and chrome are what I'd like to do - lottery win required.
1979 Fiat 2000 "Luigi"
BwBrown
Your car is a: 1970 Spider

Post by BwBrown »

I'm anxiously awaiting the opportunity to "beta test" your hard tonneau. (Your good work continues!)

Your photos make me ask... "What is the story on your hood louvers?" (I think I like them.)
Dushore, in Northeast PA
1970 124 Spider (red) and a 1979 2000 Spider (Ferrari yellow)
Also: a pair of 1952 MGTDs
1972 Fiat 850 Spider
1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1975 Corvette
1986 Lada Niva
LarryM
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by LarryM »

I love the look of this! It almost looks like fabric in the photos. Do you think it could be made from fabric? A modified boot if you will??
Larry
joelittel
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Post by joelittel »

BwBrown wrote:I'm anxiously awaiting the opportunity to "beta test" your hard tonneau. (Your good work continues!)

Your photos make me ask... "What is the story on your hood louvers?" (I think I like them.)
BwBrown the louvers are an attempt at keeping the engine bay cool. I have Mark Allison’s header and the VAS programmable fuel injection and I didn’t want any of my new electronic bits melting. The header gets hot, really hot. I thought the louvers would allow heat to escape once the car was parked.

LarryM I do think the tonneau could be made from fabric. In fact I have a version of this design on my car now. I like the fabric design because it easy rolls up and stows in the trunk or parcel bench. I did have to create a small fiberglass panel to keep the tonneau tight and looking correct, but I made sure to keep that piece as small as possible.

I’ll post pictures… eventually.
1976spyd
Your car is a: 1976 fiat 124 spider

Post by 1976spyd »

I want one , whatever happened ? where do I buy one? new to this site but I need one LOL someone let me know ,THANK YOU..... :D
TheBender
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider

Post by TheBender »

Joe recently sold the car and did not complete the mold. The new owner has everything but not sure they will finish the project.
1976spyd
Your car is a: 1976 fiat 124 spider

Post by 1976spyd »

thank you for letting me know, sad because I really liked it,LOL I might try one myself, but it will look like a kindergarten made it.
bpadda
Your car is a: 1984 Pininfarina Spider

Post by bpadda »

Hello Joe,
How did your hard shell boot turn out?
I would love to see a few pictures.
Wolfman2332
Your car is a: 84 black fiat 124 spyder

Post by Wolfman2332 »

Beautiful installation and cover - very cool. The storage issue isn't that bad - lots of people drive 'fair weather' only, and don't put the top up at all (I'm not one of those). Also love the hood louvers - very way cool and I have to believe beneficial for the engine compartment. Wish they were standard - would do them myself.
Black '84 w/tan top