missing at idle, running rich

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
55Dave124
Your car is a: 1982spider

missing at idle, running rich

Post by 55Dave124 »

I have been working on a 1982 124 spider that may have sat for some time. The car has been running rich and misses at below 1500 rpm. I changed the plugs and 02 sensor which were black with soot. I also checked the AAV which seems to be working ok and the CTS which shows 1750 ohms at 90 degree ambiant temperature and cold engine. The car starts right up but starts missing below 1500 rpm and smells a little bad. I have no idea how old the gas was so I put 5 Gal of 91 octane non ethanol in it if the gas was old. No change. all the vacuum hoses appear to have been replaced at some point. I noted the coil, which appears to be original magnetti marelli has a snipped red wire coming off the terminal side towards the firewall. there is also a a black connector underneat that with nothing in it. I do not know yet how to post pictures. Any ideas? Thanks
55Dave124

Re: missing at idle, running rich

Post by 55Dave124 »

Just to amend my previous post the wiring diagram show only one red wife from the B+ post of the coil to the distributor there are two red ones on this side and the other red one appears to go under the coil to the heat sink item (ICM)? So the snipped one, who knows?
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Were all 4 spark plugs black with soot? If so, you might have a general misfire in the ignition system which is affecting all cylinders. That would explain the soot and poor running.

It sounds like someone altered the wiring to the ignition control module (ICM), or perhaps used a different one (not specific to Fiats). There are red and black wires to the ICM so I think it's a matter of tracing the wiring diagram to see what's been changed.

It doesn't sound like a problem with the CTS or AAV at this point. Nor the cold start injector (CSI).

-Bryan
55Dave124

Post by 55Dave124 »

Yes, all four were black, I agree that the trouble may be in the ignition system. I will check the coil tomorrow and look at the ICM. Thanks again
55Dave124

Post by 55Dave124 »

OK, I tested the coil with my ohm meter, between the posts 2.3, from post to central outlet to distributor 11200 ohms. Does that sound god or bad? Thanks