Outer tie rod ends stuck

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
markko
Your car is a: 1978 spider

Outer tie rod ends stuck

Post by markko »

So I am replacing the control arms and ball joints in my 78. I’ve never done this before, so I’m doing one side at a time so that if I get mixed up I can I can look at the intact side. Anyways, I managed to replace the control arms and ball joints on the driver’s side and got the spring and shock installed. In separating the outer tie rod end from the steering knuckle I ripped the boot, so I have new tie rod ends. The problem is that the old one is stuck in the tie rod. I loosened the clamp that goes around the tie rod, but I can’t budge the end. I have soaked it in PB Blaster, and maybe by tomorrow it will have loosened up. I am reluctant to use too much force for fear of damaging other components. Anybody out there have any tricks or advice? I thought I might take the tie rod right out and work on it on the bench, but I can’t budge the other end either! Thanks for your help.
geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Re: Outer tie rod ends stuck

Post by geospider »

rust.
I would take whole thing out and do on the bench. I assume you are replacing inner tie rod end as well..
Measure length from center of tie rod ends prior to removal. that will get your alignment close enough to where you were before you get it aligned..
you can use heat as well.. Vice grip on the sleeve and turn the tie rod end.
I ended up buying the whole new set up: tie rods and sleeves. you can get the sleeves for 11.00 at AR ( but you need to get the clamps off the old ones)
check the center link as well.
when I got mine, the steering was sloppy enough that I replaced all the joints in the system, then adjusted the steering box: been great since.

geo
FiatRunner
Your car is a: 1973 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by FiatRunner »

I encountered this issue just over the weekend.

I soaked the ends in PB blaster, let it sit for a couple hours, and use a good amount of heat until it broke loose. I also took a wire brush and cleaned off the exposed threads that were located in the split in the sleeve. This made the end easier to spin in the sleeve.

New sleeves are $11 each, and clamps are another $4, and at $19 a side that might be a better alternative to struggling for a few hours, but that's just my opinion.

Hopefully they don't give you too much of a struggle.
1973 Fiat 124 Spider
2000 Toyota Tundra Limited
1968 Larson All-American speedboat
markko
Your car is a: 1978 spider

Post by markko »

Thanks for your responses. I just ordered the assembled sleeves and tie rod ends from AR. I wish I had a crystal ball and could foresee what I might need. Rookie mistake I guess. Or, I should have bought stock in FedEx!
Emersonfiat1977
Patron 2023
Patron 2023
Your car is a: 1977 fiat 124

Post by Emersonfiat1977 »

I am no where near as well educated or skilled as most people on here.

One things that seems affordable and easy is a can of MAPP gas on a propane torch head for heating things up if you don't have a set of torches. Just be mindful when using.

Best of luck