Noise on right turn

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
Weezerwill
Your car is a: 1982 spider 2000

Noise on right turn

Post by Weezerwill »

Hello, I recently had work done to my 1982 spider. Nee shocks, springs, pan hard bar. I also hard Alison Fiat 500 brake conversion done and upgraded to 15” panasport wheels and car lowered a little. All done by professional, experienced Fiat mechanic.

I noticed when taking right turns at speed there is a brief noise. Hard to describe other than “vuuump”.

I don’t think it’s tire running. Sometime hear on very slight right turns going downhill. Never left turns. Driving slow in parking lots can make hard right without any noise. No indication of running on tires or wheel well.

I had my mechanic look. He was able to recreate noise, but not track down issue. He has since retired.

Any thoughts?
Weezerwill

Re: Noise on right turn

Post by Weezerwill »

Follow up: autocorrect changed rubbing to running.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Is the noise coming from the front suspensions or the rear?

My first thought would be something shifting in the suspension, like a spring that isn't seated properly, a loose shock, or a bushing that isn't right or isn't torqued down right. Speaking of bushings, these should all be tightened when the car is sitting on its wheels (not in the air with the suspension hanging down). Let's hope your mechanic did it that way.

-Bryan
Weezerwill

Post by Weezerwill »

Honestly, it can’t tell where the noise is coming from. It seems to be closer the the front. I was wondering if it was springs. I bought the springs and shocks that were replaced. I realized after buying there at plastic seats for springs. Not sure if they are necessary or optional. The claim to reduce noise. Not sure if the car came with them originally.

Is it possible to be something with the parking break cable? The noise seems to be coming from that area under the car. Since it’s so quick and hard to duplicate it hard to track down.

Will
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Will, I'm still thinking it's a spring that shifting in its mount, or a loose shock absorber. The bottom of the front springs presses directly against the lower control arm, but the top has a hard rubber/metal "cup" between the top of the spring and the car body. The rear springs have similar cups at both top and bottom. If any of these are missing, this might cause the issue as the spring shifts around.

-Bryan