Bumper Removal?

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
Scarpa
Your car is a: 1981 SPIDER

Bumper Removal?

Post by Scarpa »

Howdy!

Im in the US, Oregon specifically. Im would love to get my Spider looking like the one at the top of this forum, with no front and rear bumpers. I know there is opinions about the look of it, however I was just wondering if it was even possible to remove the bumpers and if it was legal/safe ( i care a bit less of the latter ).

My main concern is my inspection; currently, it looks like there would be some big holes to fill into the body where the bumper posts go through currently.

I apologize if there is a better topic in this forum covering this, I looked around a few and couldn't find precisely this stuff.

Thanks

Cy
Anbele
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000 CS2

Re: Bumper Removal?

Post by Anbele »

Sounds like you’re tagging the car as a normal car and not as an “historic” (which is what’s called in Maryland after 16 years of being manufactured). Once it’s tagged as historic over here, all emissions and mostly DOT of the past 50 years go out the window. But this also means that you cannot use the car as a daily driver, only weekends and/or special occasions…I guess you’ll have to wait till someone else from Oregon chimes in with their own experience
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

Removed the bumpers on my 82'. There are some options to put retro earlier year or abarth style bumpers. I used VW stainless T bars that match the body lines of the car. The only difficult part is removing the bumper shock from the gas tank side rear. You will need to lift the gas tank to get access to the long bumper bolts in the rear 1/4 panel. I used a couple 2X4 's top hold the tank up and slightly to the side in order to access the bolts. Be careful not to damage the filler neck going into the tank or consider replacing if 40-year-old rubber is in bad shape. The car is more susceptible to damage in an accident or even in the parking lot without full protection. However, I like the look a lot better. If you put the retro, classic or some other bumper like fittings, chances are very high you will pass inspection in whatever state you are in because the person at the shop has no idea what the car is supposed to look like and cars today have bumpers built into the body lines. If you move forward removing the bumper there are some write ups on this forum.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
Scarpa
Your car is a: 1981 SPIDER

Post by Scarpa »

Much appreciated for the reply.
If you move forward with removing the bumper, there are some write-ups on this forum.
Do you happen to have a link for them, I couldn't find anything when I looked.
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

I can't find the write up but know I read one back in 2016 when I removed the bumpers. From memory. The front bumper bolts are easy to get to by removing the front wheels and then removing the wheel liner if your car has them. You will see the housing and the two bolts to remove. You may need some gentle persuasion to get the shocks out. I found it easier with the bumper on pulling side to side with leverage in an even manner. The rear bumpers take a little more time. The passenger side has access to the very long bolts on the inside of the trunk by the wheel well. The drivers side is the same set up but blocked by the gas tank. If you unbolt the gas tank bolts along the trunk floor you will be able to lift the tank. I used a jack and some wood to lift the tank slightly. Without removing any of the gas tank hoses you can lift the tank a few inches and support the lifted tank with 2 X 4 in a slightly off to the side manner with the 2 X 4's between the trunk floor and the bottom lip of the gas tank to hold it in place while you work on the bolts. Using this method and the tank on an angle cocked to the side you can gain access to the bumper bolts without removing the tank or unhooking the lines. Move the tank slow and deliberate and only move/position the tank just enough to access the bolts. Be carful as these lines are old and you don't want to jar or bend the filler neck tub coming down from fill hole. If original rubber lines you may want to give some consideration to replacing while you are in there as the ethinol in todays fuel makes the old lines brittle.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban