brake calliper blocked

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
charlielucky
Your car is a: Fiat 124 2000 C3 1981 model

brake calliper blocked

Post by charlielucky »

Hi, my car has been sat idle for so long the front right hand brake calliper is blocked. Can anybody tell me how to unblock it?
kilrwail
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider

Re: brake calliper blocked

Post by kilrwail »

You're going to have to rebuild that calliper. Get the best penetrating oil you can find - I prefer Deep Creep from Sea Foam. Soak the nut attaching the brake line to the calliper and unscrew it. If necessary, apply heat to help, but don't damage the nut! Block the brake line with a nail or something similar that's metal. Don't use a toothpick! Then remove the calliper from the hub. Buy a calliper rebuild kit which should include the inner sealing ring and a dust boot. Remove the old dust boot and soak the periphery of the piston with your penetrating fluid. Apply high pressure compressed air to the brake line attachment hole and stand back. The piston should pop out, maybe violently. If it doesn't, apply more penetrating fluid and wait. Once you have the piston out, remove the old sealing ring and clean the cylinder and piston as well as you can. They should be shiny. Now reassemble the whole thing and bleed the brakes - all of them. When you test drive, if the car is pulling to the left under braking, rebuild the left front.

1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider - original owner
1977 Porsche 911S - track car
2022 Ram 4 x 4 - hauler
PCA National Instructor and Motorsport Safety Foundation Level 2 Instructor
charlielucky

Post by charlielucky »

Hi, thanks for the detailed reply. I'll try and get it sorted using your instructions. The weather over here is France is pretty awful now so I have a month or two ahead of me to get the car on the road. Charles
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Rebuilding the front caliper would be the ideal solution, perhaps both sides and maybe even the rears. However, I have had some sticky calipers that "fixed" themselves after a bit of driving and braking. Use caution if your brakes are pulling to one side or not fully effective, of course.

On the other hand, if it's the brake line that is blocked, that's a different problem. Could be a defective flexible hose from the wheel well to the caliper.

-Bryan
charlielucky

Post by charlielucky »

I should have mentioned that the brake hoses and pads are brand new. The car has just not moved in so long it might well be worth trying to ease the blocks disc free on the road. I am still some way off being able to drive it as I need to replace the soft top 3/4 windows and install the new top. I've owned the car for 29 years and hardly ever driven it, so I'm looking forward to some summer drives in the French countryside.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

I have had pretty good luck removing the caliper from the caliper bracket. Then remove the dust seal, support the caliper so the piston is pointing up. Spray silicone around the piston and let it sit. Use a "C" clamp to push the piston into the caliper base. Then I put a piece of wood in the caliper so the piston can't move very much (5-10 mm) and push on the brake peddle. This pushes the piston out to the wood. remove the wood and again use the "C" clamp to compress the piston. I repeat this a few times. The silicone lubricates the fluid seal/piston and is safe in brake systems. I believe the same process using brake fluid would also work. Replace the dust seal and caliper into the bracket.
charlielucky

Post by charlielucky »

Hi, just to let you know that I managed to get the calliper working properly using a C clamp. Thanks for the advice. Charles