Fasteners

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
vsurg
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider

Fasteners

Post by vsurg »

Does anyone know of a list of all the necessary fasteners for putting these cars back together? I got a nice list of new items to replace everything in the engine with hex head bolts but I am looking for all the others bits without having to one off each of them that are missing. I am working on a 1978 124.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Fasteners

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

vsurg wrote:Does anyone know of a list of all the necessary fasteners for putting these cars back together?
I don't know of such a list, but I'm guessing you'll have to narrow your request down in terms of breadth. Are we talking just the engine components, or also the braking system, suspension, body parts, interior parts, etc? Such a list would be challenging if it were comprehensive. Then there are specialty fasteners, nylon nuts, and high strength steel for internal engine fasteners (head bolts, rod bolts/nuts, main bearing cap bolts, flywheel bolts, etc).

Note that most of the nuts and bolts that Fiat used for the drivetrain were pretty good quality stuff. Some of the interior parts like sheet metal screws, well... not so much.

Two sets of bolts that probably should be replaced with better versions are the 4 bolts used for the coolant housing on top of the head, and the 4 bolts securing the water pump to the block. The original M6x1.0 bolts were under-engineered and have an annoying tendency to snap off after they get corroded, which they almost always do.

-Bryan