No injector pulse

General chat about the car goes in here.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: No injector pulse

Post by spider2081 »

I think I read the ECU has to signal the dual relay for it to work?
Yes that is correct, I errored when I said disconnect the ECU and you should have voltage on only one pin. The dual relay needs a ground on its pin 85 to operate. That ground passes through the ECU to ECU pin 28. If the ECU is not plugged in the dual relay con not operate and power the the fuel injectors. Sorry my mistake.
You have done so much and the engine still does not run It's a true head scratcher.
I could be wrong but if the injectors are working and just the cold start valve is the problem, I think the engine should continue to run after it starts on starting fluid. Its my understanding the cold start valve only operates while the ignition switch is in the "start" position or when the thermal time switch is below 90 F. The thermal time switch will activate the CSV for close to 10 seconds. I don't think the cold start valve is preventing the engine from running once it starts on the starting fluid.
I like to remove the black plastic cover from the top of the air flow meter and inspect inside. The flap should move freely and return to the stop freely. The printed circuit board should be clean and the resistive arc should not be worn through. Its easy to observe the fuel pump switch contact operation.
I am pretty sure I have a spare working ECU. Ill ship it to you if you like. Email me you address my email is: flyme194@gmail.com

I assume you have removed the distributor cap and inspected inside.
radeznc
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat 124 Sipder 2000

Post by radeznc »

I have replaced the distributor rotor. It had broken and I didn't get spark at one point.

I think this weekend I will attempt to run the injectors outside of the engine to see if they are working.
I also plan to trace some voltage on the ECU to see if I can verify the power transistors and the ground again/further.

Thank you so much for your help! I'll let you know the results and be in touch if the spare ECU would be helpful. I'm getting close to being ready to pull the existing one and test with a known good one.

Once last question for this post. Do you know what pin 22 on the ECU harness is supposed to be connected to?
Mine is hanging in the engine bay not connected to anything still.
radeznc
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat 124 Sipder 2000

Post by radeznc »

New Development... I think?
I ran across this forum thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1 ... ors-2.html
It talks about similar symptoms in a different car with the same injector system.

One of the posts in there suggests looking for crossed wires in the injector harness by disconnecting the injectors and testing each of the injector's wiring pairs.

So I disconnected all four injectors and disconnected the ECU. If the ECU wires go directly back to the ECU harness and the ECU isn't connected they should just be disconnected wires and my impedance test should test open on all 4 sets of wires.
I did an impedance test on each pair of injector wires. Injectors 1-3 all tested open circuit.
Injector 4 showed resistance. Could this mean that I have damaged wires in my injector wires?
Could a short in that set of wires be causing the injectors not to ground properly and therefore not opening the injectors?

The confusing part is when I switch to continuity. Same state: injectors disconnected and ECU disconnected:
the same pin on all 4 wire sets will show continuity to each other. This must be the pins that go to the relay.
The other pin on all 4 wire sets don't show continuity. Which I would expect from 1-3, but if 4 is somehow crossed I'd expect to get continuity. Though, I don't. So the 4th set of injector wires show resistance but not continuity? I'm not sure what to make of this.

The car continues to fire a handful of times each time I let it sit after pressuring the fuel rail. I can almost hear what its going to sound like when it idles. :D I'm more and more convinced by this that it's just not getting fuel. I've not tried to run it on starter fluid again yet.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

the same pin on all 4 wire sets will show continuity to each other. This must be the pins that go to the relay.
Sorry didn't see this post until I read your email to me.
I agree if the dual relay is still connected then the 4 pins reading continuity together would be from the relay and the power input pins to the injectors.
The 4 injectors other wires are jumped together inside the ECU and all 4 injectors fire at the same time for the same duration of time. If you check the ECU pins 14,15,32,33 should all have close to 0 ohms between them.
Are all 4 of your injector harness connectors the same light beige color??

Just saw the question the wire with 22 hot stamped into it. I believe it was intended either for testing the fuel mixture or for an altitude sensor input. In any case its a spare wire not used or connected in Fuel Injected Fiat Spiders.
Keep the faith it will run
SpiderGuy
Your car is a: 1981 Pininfarina Spider 2000 5 spd

Post by SpiderGuy »

I had similar no start problem I couldn't figure out so I finally towed it down to the mechanic at a local shop called AutoWerks.
Their electrical guru James fixed several problems and got the old Spider running for me. here are 2 pictures of the work he did, maybe you can use it for reference..good luck hope you get it fixed

SpiderGuy
Your car is a: 1981 Pininfarina Spider 2000 5 spd

Post by SpiderGuy »

So now that mine is running I'm working to get the dash all put back together and fix all the lights to work

Mitykc
Your car is a: 1980 2L Spider

Post by Mitykc »

I just dealt with a somewhat similar situation with my spider that I’m nursing back to health. After cleaning the injectors and replacing the entire fuel system I had fire at the injectors, but no cold start. This lead to me bench testing the dual relays and chasing wires for longer than I care to admit. It ended up being a ground issue at the TTS connector. Never assume anything with grounds on these cars. Check across ground and then recheck to a known good ground.