Ignition switch wires

Gotta love that wiring . . .
jpaulus53
Your car is a: 1977 fiat spider

Ignition switch wires

Post by jpaulus53 »

I have a 1977 Spider that will not start. Three months ago when i put the car in my garage it would start and run fine. Now the engine will crank and the carb is getting fuel but it will not start. I believe that i have an ignition switch problem. There is no power to the coil and no power to the pink and light blue wires on the ignition switch when the key is in run position. There is also no turn signals or brake lights both of which derive power from that same ignition switch terminal. Fuse A is good.
So i think i have a bad ignition switch. But, before i buy a new ignition switch can someone tell me why i have so many “extra” wires on my ignition switch? I have posted a pic of what the wiring digram says it should look like and also a digram of my switch actually looks like along with some photos.
Also, does anyone have any idea what the pink and white wires are that go into the switch housing
without any connection terminal? Thanks
jpaulus53

Re: Ignition switch wires

Post by jpaulus53 »

Sorry about the images , but if you right click , you can open the image in new window
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

jpaulus53 wrote:Also, does anyone have any idea what the pink and white wires are that go into the switch housing
without any connection terminal?
The pink and white wires are for the "Remove Key" indicator and/or buzzer. They can be disconnected and it won't harm anything.

-Bryan
jpaulus53

Post by jpaulus53 »

Thanks Bryan !
18Fiatsandcounting

I looked at your photographs, and it seems like you have the right colors of wires. Each model year is slightly different, but here's my guess as to how it should be wired if it's stock*. If you look closely at the back of the ignition switch, you should see numbers by each terminal like 15, 30/1, INT, etc. If you don't have these, well, you do then have a challenge.

*This all assumes that a previous owner has not changed the wiring around...

Terminal 30/1 is the Black wire for +12V from the alternator.
Terminal 15 is the large Pink (to the fusebox) and Blue/Black wires (to the ignition coil).
Terminal 30 is the Brown wire from the +12V at the starter motor
Terminal 50 is the Red wire to the starter motor solenoid.
Terminal 16 is used in some model years, sometimes for an electric fuel pump.
The INT terminal can be various colors depending on year, but it's usually for outer lighting and/or various interior functions.

The small white and pink wires are the switch for the remove key indicator as already noted.

Hope this helps.
Bryan
jpaulus53

Post by jpaulus53 »

Well i bought a new ignition switch and Bang! Started right up. Of course now i have no left side low beam or dashboard high beam indicator. Everything else seems to work fine.
18Fiatsandcounting

Check your fuses. Fuses 3 and 4 are the high beams with Fuse 3 also controlling the high beam indicator. Fuses 5 and 6 are the low beams. The fuses are sometimes referred to by letters, to 3 to 6 would be C, D, E, F respectively. Each is 8 amps.

It's also possible that you simply have a burned out left low beam.

-Bryan
jpaulus53

Post by jpaulus53 »

Found a bad connection on the passenger side fender wall near the headlight. Seems to have fixed it