What oil filter

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
BCK1
Your car is a: pininfarina spidereuropa 1983

What oil filter

Post by BCK1 »

Just about to change my oil for year end . Went to an auto part store to buy a filter. They sold me a Fram PH8172 which seems to be rather small. I checked the Fram website and it says this filter is not for my 1983 spider but is compatible with a 131 Bravo Fiat. I assume they are the same motor so am confused Any suggestions Thanks Brian
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: What oil filter

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Well, I don't know about an '83 spidereuropa, but when I checked the Fram website, it listed PH-7 for an '83 Fiat spider, with PH-8172 specified if space is limited, like if the car has A/C.

I had used a Fram PH-7 in the past, although I seem to recall there were clearance issues on some of the 2L engines. But, I've recently heard a lot of negative things about Fram filters, so I have switched to Wix 51189 for my Fiat engines. However, the Wix website does not list a filter for Fiat spiders after 1978. Weird.

My guess is that you will be fine with a PH-8172, and if you can find a PH-7 or Wix 51189, that would work if there are no clearance issues. I have also heard that the NAPA gold filters are the same as Wix, so if you have a NAPA auto parts store nearby, you could check with them.

-Bryan
BCK1
Your car is a: pininfarina spidereuropa 1983

Re: What oil filter

Post by BCK1 »

Thanks for the response I checked the NAPA website and see the 1189 filter so I think I will go with that. Thanks. Brian