Weather seals help needed

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
charlielucky
Your car is a: Fiat 124 2000 C3 1981 model

Weather seals help needed

Post by charlielucky »

Hi, My 81 Fiat 124 renovation is coming along very well thanks to some good advice on this forum. Right now I am ready to do some insulation and start installing new weather seals. The first one I have a problem with is the curved rubber seal that goes on the back of the engine. Can anyone tell me if this needs to go under the lip of the wiper cowling and should it I put silicone or something similar if I need to screw through the lower flat part of the seal? How do I fix the large rubber seal that goes along the top of the windshield? Thanks
charlielucky

Re: Weather seals help needed

Post by charlielucky »

HI, I don't seem to be able to upload any photos so I'll ask the administrator for permission. In the meantime I'm wondering if I have asked such a dumb question that everybody is shy to give me some advice. I am an amateur mechanic in the very true sense of the term so any advice is welcome. Have a great day.
DRUMMOND
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: Fiat Spyder 2000 1980 Pininfarina

Post by DRUMMOND »

Hi Charlielucky

I placed mine under the lip and made holes in the seal for the cowl retaining screws which hold it in place

I don't know what seal you are talking about at the top of the windshield?
davidbruce
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Post by davidbruce »

If you are talking about the seal between the windshield frame and the front top bow. I believe they are all glued in place.
Dave Kelly
Campbell River B.C.
1973 Sport(sold)
1980 Spider 2000(project, aren't they all)
davidbruce
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Post by davidbruce »

I guess I should have looked! There is a plastic strip which screws to the top bow and clamps the leading edge of the seals mounting flange. This strip as well as glue. My preference is 3M weatherstrip adhesive in black. Any squeeze out doesn't show like the yellow stuff. I have only installed the aftermarket seal, although It appears the OEM style mounts the same.
Dave Kelly
Campbell River B.C.
1973 Sport(sold)
1980 Spider 2000(project, aren't they all)
charlielucky

Post by charlielucky »

Hi, thanks for the photo and advice. I was planning on doing the same with my engin seal so now I can get on and do it. My next task is to install some sound reduction hush mat and then put the carpet, door panels and then the seats in place. I have a new soft top ready to install so I guess I will do the windscreen seals at that time. Thanks again