Front end squeaking and rattling

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
Barjavel
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat 2000

Front end squeaking and rattling

Post by Barjavel »

Hi all,

I am still getting used to (and loving) my 1981 2000. I had the front brakes and suspension replaced earlier this summer (pads, rotors, springs, dampers) using quality parts from the usual suspects. The car is currently making two sets of noises -- first, a semi-regular "clicking" from, apparently, the front ride side. It's not just when braking, I can't figure out any pattern. It's a "click click click". And, second, lots of rattle and clatter from the front end (left and right) when going over city streets and their normal imperfections. At highway speed the car seems relatively rattle-free; the noise is most noticeable when on local streets, but the wind noise at highway speed may be blocking it out. Hit pavement irregularities, even small ones, at low speeds and I get squeak rattle squeak from the front, incessant, but nothing from the rear.

What should I tell me mechanic to take a look at? He had previously said that the control arm bits looked good. But everything on this car, besides what I have replaced, is original to 1981.
Nut124
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Re: Front end squeaking and rattling

Post by Nut124 »

Why did you have the springs replaced?

If the control arms and ball joints are original, there are plenty of sources of rattle and clunk there.

I would have replaced the bushings and ball joints, tie rod ends when the front end was apart.
Barjavel

Post by Barjavel »

I replaced the springs to lower the car slightly, and I figured that since the shocks had to be replaced, I might as well do the springs at the same time. That logic didn't extend to the control arms and ball joints.

From the PO's records, one front ball joint is original, one is replaced. The car was almost entirely original when I got it.

If I go the route of replacing bushings and ball joints, does the board recommend the route of buying the available pre-assembled sets of upper and lower control arms? Does that save a lot of labor on install? I am kicking myself for not thinking about this the first time.
toyfiats
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

Post by toyfiats »

Barjavel wrote:I replaced the springs to lower the car slightly, and I figured that since the shocks had to be replaced, I might as well do the springs at the same time. That logic didn't extend to the control arms and ball joints.

From the PO's records, one front ball joint is original, one is replaced. The car was almost entirely original when I got it.

If I go the route of replacing bushings and ball joints, does the board recommend the route of buying the available pre-assembled sets of upper and lower control arms? Does that save a lot of labor on install? I am kicking myself for not thinking about this the first time.
When it was time to replace the largely original suspension on my '81 I opted to refurbish the original arms, as I had OEM bushings and high-quality TRW ball joints, and was able to swing by a local shop that knows their way around Fiats and they pressed the old lower bushings out and the new ones in (which are a hassle). To me it wasn't about saving time or money, but if I had to do it again and didn't have the parts nor access to a shop I would seriously consider the "Made in Italy" assemblies that AutoRicambi sells.

https://autoricambi.us/complete-front-c ... e-over-10/
FiatRunner
Your car is a: 1973 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by FiatRunner »

To preface, I am a college student with limited time, money, and tools.

My '74 needed a complete suspension overhaul, and whenever I fix something on the car, I always try to consider the possibility that it doesn't go smoothly. I don't have a bushing press, or a lift, and I unfortunately don't have the time for a job that takes longer than it should. I purchased the complete control arms from Vick Autosports. To me, this seemed to be the most cost-friendly, time-saving option.

I was happy to find that the parts were of good quality. I wouldn't consider them to be of the same standard as some of the other OEM parts I have ordered, but they were definitely nice enough for me to trust them.

The control arms themselves were slightly thinner metal, but still very close to the originals. All of the hardware included was of good quality and threaded very nicely onto wherever it was supposed to go. Of course, we'll see what my opinion is in 15 or 20k miles, but for now, they're plenty solid for me.

Hopefully this helps.
1973 Fiat 124 Spider
2000 Toyota Tundra Limited
1968 Larson All-American speedboat
Barjavel

Post by Barjavel »

Thanks for all the advice so far. I am leaning toward the AR kit but will check out the Vick's kit too.
TheBender
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider

Post by TheBender »

Check all the simple things too like wheel bearings. The front right wheel bearing was the latest noise culprit for me.
Barjavel

Post by Barjavel »

Will do. I will go ahead and order the wheel bearings, they are cheap and they can sit on my shelf if not needed now. I have an appointment at the mechanic to take a look at the control arms.
bobplyler
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1979 spider 2000

Post by bobplyler »

I replaced all 4 control arms several years ago. When testing it, it was very stiff to turn. One of the new ball joints was extremely stiff, and would barely move. I got a replacement ball joint, and it was fine.
1979 Fiat Spider (since new)
2005 Lincoln LS (the wife's car)
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier (daily driver)
1999 Honda Shadow VLX 600
1972 Grumman Traveller 5895L (long gone).
Barjavel

Post by Barjavel »

I had an epiphany when driving with my 9-year-old yesterday in the spider out to our lake cabin. We realized, and jointly confirmed, that much of the front-end rattling pauses when I engage the brakes. That suggests to me that I am missing the anti-rattle springs. I ordered a set of four and am working on getting an appointment to check and install if necessary. I know I also need to replace the engine and tranny mounts and will have that done at the same time--the engine moves slightly under heavy breaking, but enough to interfere with the high-performance extra-large radiator fan that I bought from AR, destroying it with the water pump pulley).

The car still excessively shudders when running over minor road imperfections (even when the brakes temporarily stop the rattling). After reading a lot about bushings, I am 85% convinced the bushings are rot. If so I will replace them with new rubber ones.

On a positive note, a couple of days ago I was driving on my Vespa and saw a nice Fiat 2000 driving around. I followed him and asked at a stoplight who his mechanic was; it turns out there's an old guy in town that I didn't know about who used to work at the local Fiat dealer way back in the early 1980s. He still works on Fiats, Alfas, and other exotica. We'll see what he says!