95 amp alternator conversion

Gotta love that wiring . . .
So Cal Mark

Re: 95 amp alternator conversion

Post by So Cal Mark »

the alternator is bolted solid to the engine, there isn't any need to ground the case. Grounds between the engine and chassis are critical, so adding a ground wire between the engine/chassis is always a good idea.
bradartigue
Your car is a: 1970 Sport Spider

Post by bradartigue »

Something worth noting reading through this (very good) thread - for those who haven't tried it you can often fix your power feed woes with the original alternators by simply changing out the voltage regulator. The "internal" types on the alternators are a replaceable and inexpensive part.

Of course these days there is nothing wrong with upgrading - the electrical system operates near the limit of its capabilities when stock. Nothing wrong with a bit more ooomph
TimpanogosSlim
Your car is a: 1977 124 Spider

Post by TimpanogosSlim »

So Cal Mark wrote:the alternator is bolted solid to the engine, there isn't any need to ground the case. Grounds between the engine and chassis are critical, so adding a ground wire between the engine/chassis is always a good idea.
Redundant grounds don't hurt anything, though. The OE harness on my '84 jetta diesel had an 8ga wire from a stud on the back of the alternator to the ground terminal on the battery. Just because.

Anyway, as for fire risk worries, I'd suggest not having un-fused lines. Get some in-line megafuse, ANL, or mini-ANL fuse holders and some 150A fuses. Put one on each end of the big green wire. Keep spare fuses in glove box or trunk. Problem solved.

And i agree that the problem is the same with and without the upgraded alternator. A charged up lead-acid battery can dump a lot of current in a hurry through a dead short. Way more than 95 amps.

A bigger alternator may increase the charging current, but that's only going to be in effect right after you start up the car, and it's still far less current going over the big green wire than while you were cranking the starter.

My ex-navy buddies say that they used to dispose of spent batteries by hoisting them over-board far out to sea. We're talking about lead-acid batteries in the dog-house size range.

They said that even though these were old, tired batteries that were no longer capable of running the boat, and in a state of discharge (relative to the operating conditions of the boat), they always exploded violently as soon as sea water bridged the terminals.

Most cars built in the last 25 years or so have fusible links. No reason an older one couldn't. If you wanted to get fancy you could retrofit the fuse block that sits on top of the battery in a 99-05 volkswagen.
nalle
Your car is a: Spider 2000 1982

Post by nalle »

Here is a link to one bosch catalog where is explained basics of alternators and starters.
http://www.vwgolfklubs.lv/files/2006091 ... 771893.pdf
Spider 2000, 1982
Ex Jaguar X-type 2.2, 2009
Jaguar XE 2.0 AWD
"A single fact can spoil a good argument"
Skyebot
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider

Post by Skyebot »

I have a question with my ‘78 and an attempted 95a alternator conversion.

I bought the Ricambi unit but finding that the fit isn’t quite right:

-lower bolt is smaller diameter than previous bolt (acknowledged in directions provided
-the lower mounti on the block of my fiat is narrower than the spacing on the new units casing, I’m reluctant to try to add spacers/washers, especially with the already smaller bolt shaft.

I suspect this is either:

-The wrong part
-A fitnent issue or design problèm for the new 95a
-or I have a block/motor that is pre 78 in a 78 body

I’ve contacted ricambi but haven’t heard back yet - Anybody know anything about this?

Thanks,

Skye